Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2016 11:00

Battery charge problem

Good evening.

The problem with the battery of my XPS 17 L702X started some months ago. My house lost power 3 or 4 times in 2 minutes while my notebook was connected to the electricity grid. Since then my notebook doesn't recharge the battery. The message is: "plugged in, not charging". I've bought a new battery, but the problem persists.

Thank you for any help.

2K Posts

June 12th, 2016 13:00

Hi ROADMAP,

Are you using the original Dell adapter for this system model? Is the adapter frayed? Does the adapter stay in firm when plugged in or does it fall off easily?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter connected. Also, wiggle the adapter jack at the end and check if the adapter status changes at any point.

Test with another power adapter if possible.

If the port is loose, then the DC port needs to be replaced otherwise, the adapter needs to be replaced.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ 

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2K Posts

June 13th, 2016 17:00

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for the update.

Well, based on your description, yes the dc port seems to be loose.

The part you have found is right. You could order it online and choose to replace it yourself or through a local tech.

Download the service manual - http://dell.to/1rmCzCx

If you would like a paid service call from Dell, I have provided the link in my previous post.

When there is an electrical fluctuation, in the worst case scenario, it could damage the HDD / motherboard / adapter.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2016 07:00

There are three possible causes of the issue in descending probability:

The adapter

The DC jack

The mainboard.

11 Posts

June 13th, 2016 14:00

Hi Rishi,

Thank you for your reply. I am  using the original Dell adapter for this system model. The adapter is not frayed. Yes, the adapter falls off easily when plugged in. I have tried with another power adapter, but the problem persists. In BIOS.  I have found: AC adapter UNKNOWN. I cannot check without the adapter connected, otherwise the notebook turns off because the battery charge is always 0%. Sometimes the battery is recharged, but it happened 2 or 3 times in the last months.

When you talk about DC port, do you intend this? www.ebay.it/.../112008234828

However the problem started after that day, when problems with the electricity grid happened. Some time ago I have read that, when problems with electricity happen, the system that recharges the battery can stop recharging to protect itself. Is it possible?

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Nicola (roadmap)

11 Posts

June 14th, 2016 13:00

Hi Rishi,

Thank you very much for your support. So, the solution more probable is to replace the dc port? Or also could the adapter be the problem? Do you think that no other part of the notebook can be damaged and cause my problem?

Sorry for my english and thank you again.

Best regards,

Nicola

2K Posts

June 14th, 2016 16:00

Hi Nicola,

I see that ejn63 has given you a very good suggestion. Kindly follow that and it will help you immensely.

The dc port seems to be faulty as per your description. I suppose replacing that should fix the issue. The worst case scenario is that the motherboard could be faulty. 

Considering there is no warranty, if you are not keen on replacing the motherboard, my personal suggestion is that you invest your money on a new machine.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2016 16:00

You may want to bring the system to a local shop that can test a new Dell adapter for you.  If it solves the problem, you're set.  If not, it's either the DC jack or the mainboard tha'ts faulty -- the jack costs $20-30 while a mainboard will be a couple of hundred dollars plus another $100 in labor to replace, so the jack is worth trying first.

11 Posts

Hi Rishi,

Thank you. I ask you the same question I asked ejn63. Can a motherboard faulty cause only that problem? Should it not also cause other problems? I have only that problem. In the worst case scenario I would replace the motherboard myself. My machine is 5 years old, but I paid 1600 euros for it.

Thank you Rishi

11 Posts

Hi ejn63,

Thank you for your reply. One question. But can a motherboard faulty cause only that problem? Should it not also cause other problems? I have only that problem.

Best regards,

Nicola

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It is very possible for the charge circuit on the board to be bad, causing no problems other than the failure to recognize the AC adapter (which in turn prevents the battery from charging).

You've indicated you're using the original adapter, but haven't indicated whether you'd tried a new OEM Dell adapter --if you have not, do that first.  It's far more likely to be the problem, and far less expensive to do.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2016 08:00

No, I haven't tried a new OEM Dell adapter.

Thank you for your support.

2K Posts

June 16th, 2016 15:00

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for the update.

I see that ejn63 has already answered your query. The motherboard is the base component of the system where all other components are connected. If the motherboard is faulty, it could be caused by several factors and could in turn cause system issues. In this case, the charging has been disabled.

I would best suggest, as advised previously, take the system into a local shop, they could test the system with a good known Dell adapter. They will help isolate if the issue is with the adapter, dc port or the motherboard.

11 Posts

June 17th, 2016 06:00

Hi Rishi,

Thank you again. In BIOS I have seen:

AC Adapter    UNKNOWN

What does it mean?

Thank you and regards,

Nicola

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 17th, 2016 07:00

The battery will not charge unless the adapter is recognized.  Since you've already installed a new DC jack, the adapter may be faulty.  As above, your next step is to try a new OEM Dell adapter.

If it's recognized, you're set.

If not, the problem is with the mainboard.

2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 13:00

Hi Nicola,

If the adapter status in BIOS shows as unknown - it indicates that the adapter is not recognized by the system. This means the issue is with the adapter or the dc port. 

Have you replaced the dc port yet? Have you tested with another Dell adapter?

No Events found!