Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MH

February 3rd, 2017 06:00

Battery does not have enough charge to power the dock?

Hi all,

There's a user who has a Latitude 7440 with Win 7 Pro. When she puts the laptop on the dock in the morning and turns it on, there's a message before Windows starts that says something like "The battery does not have enough charge to power the dock".

I checked the BIOS and it recognizes the 130w adaptor and you can see the charge level increase, it went from 20% to 23% while I was watching. I swapped out the dock and adaptor because I didn't know what else to do.

Can anyone explain what causes this or if there's a common fix? I told her to call me if it happens again and I'm not sure what the next step would be.

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2017 09:00

Let's backup. The dock should have its own AC adapter and power cord and should not be using the AC adapter and power cord that shipped with the laptop. At the end of her workday, she should turn the laptop off (not any powersave modes), and plug it into its own AC adapter and power cord to charge overnight. Then when she docks, what happens?

32 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 10:00

The dock does have its own 130 watt adaptor plugged in, the same as everyone else in the company. I didn't think to have her charge it off the dock but I haven't seen this be an issue before.

She does turn the laptop off at night, it's when she puts it back on the dock and turns it on in the morning that the message comes up. This is something that just started happening recently. She isn't doing anything different than she always has.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Did she install any Windows updates prior to the issue? Is the 7440 using the latest BIOS?

32 Posts

I'll have to check on that.

The updates are pushed over the network so she got the same ones that everyone else did. I didn't update the BIOS. I told her to call me the next time she sees the message, I'll do it then.

No Events found!