Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AS

September 10th, 2017 23:00

Battery found drained after shutting down.

Hello there,

I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 and for the past few weeks I have found that the battery drains after shutting down the laptop. The following is a step by step explanation of the issue :

1. After charging the laptop to 100 %, I clicked Start > Power > Shut down.

2. After waiting for like 5 minutes and ensuring that the laptop is, like "dead" ( no sounds, vibrations or anything ), I closed the lid and kept it on the table.

3. Next day, switch the laptop on and it does not turn on. The battery light flashes for a second and goes off. I connect the AC adapter and the laptop switches on. It shows 0 % battery.

I have run a full diagnostic check up of the laptop and the results do not display any issues related to memory, hard disk or the battery. Lid sensor also works perfectly.

However, I found something interesting. I checked the Event Viewer and I found the following logs :

1. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:51 User32 1074 None : 

The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-GJRG6VA on behalf of user DESKTOP-GJRG6VA\Dell Inspiron 3542 for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shut-down Type: power off

// That's when I shut down the laptop.

2.Information 10-09-2017 21:16:54 Winlogon 7002 (1102) : User Log-off Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program

3. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:56 Kernel-Power 42 (64) : 

The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Application API

4. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:58 Kernel-Power 107 (102) : The system has resumed from sleep.

5. Information 11-09-2017 10:19:32 Kernel-General 1 (5) : 

The system time has changed to ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎11T04:49:32.500000000Z from ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎10T15:46:58.855067000Z.

Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.

// That's the time I switched it back on.

As seen, the laptop was shut down on 10-09-2017 21:16:51. But, did it enter Sleep mode on 10-09-2017 21:16:56 ? and the log shows it resumed from sleep on 10-09-2017 21:16:58, but I did not see any response like the screen turning back on or something.

Does anyone has a solution to this issue ?

• 

16.7K Posts

September 13th, 2017 12:00

Abimalek Sandosh,

Do you have the computer set to do automatic backups when the system is shut down? If so, set the system to install updates at a certain time. You have something set that is waking the system.  Do you have the system set to do an automatic backup at a certain time?  If you do leave the ac adapter plugged into the computer and wall outlet so the battery does not drain.

·        

September 13th, 2017 13:00

DELL- Jesse L,

No, I checked the settings and found that the laptop is not set to perform automatic backups or install any updates at any time.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 13th, 2017 19:00

:emotion-2:.

Please check out the information in the link below, hopefully it will be a help to you.

Inspiron 15 (3542), 14(3442), 17(5748) Running Windows 10 ...

September 14th, 2017 08:00

LSUFAN51,

Thanks, but it is not related to this issue. The information in the link was correct, I had faced those scenarios before, but I did not consider it as a problem. Thanks for sharing and do advice about this ( battery ) issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 09:00

Was the original time 13 hours off?

Since something out of the ordinary was happening, I would check to see if it continues.  If it does not continue, perhaps it as the result if the time change,  I assume your system time is correct now?  Is the time set to sync online?  Bios time OK?

September 15th, 2017 06:00

Saltgrass,

I checked the event logger again. This time after sutting down, the event logger said the system went to sleep due to system API and after a few seconds it resumed from sleep. But, this time the battery remained at the same percentage. BIOS time is OK. Will check it once again and notify the changes.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 15th, 2017 07:00

There are three commands you can run on the system to see if some info can be obtained.  A system which does not actually enter sleep might be kept awake by networking traffic.

Try these three and report back and maybe even copy and past the shorter results.

Open an Administrative command prompt and type:

powercfg /lastwake   This command should be run just after it wakes up.

powercfg /requests

powercfg /a

September 17th, 2017 07:00

Saltgrass,

My laptop is Inspiron 3542. I will post an update tomorrow after following your recommendations. Thanks in advance !

September 17th, 2017 20:00

Saltgrass,

I did as you said and I found the following outputs in the command prompt :

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]

(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /lastwake

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests

DISPLAY:

None.

SYSTEM:

None.

AWAYMODE:

None.

EXECUTION:

None.

PERFBOOST:

None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:

None.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hybrid Sleep

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

There is one more thing, on 15th I posted that the battery was the same when the laptop was powered several hours later. The last two days, I have been checking it and I have found that the battery retains its charge percentage. I guess the issue is solved.

The only changes I have brought into the system was the Intel driver updates as per LSUFAN51's post ( above ). I could not install them, the command prompt showed that it cannot be installed and the system immediately restarted. But, I was able to download and install the updates from Dell website.

I would like to hear your opinion. Is the issue really solved ?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 17th, 2017 21:00

I would say keep an eye on it and make sure the clock stays correct.  If the Bios time is coming up wrong, there may be a problem with the CMOS battery, which might effect the Bios settings.

If you power down the system it will not normally start up by itself. A change in system time may have fooled the timing for sleep and other processes which may have been set to happen based on the incorrect system time.

No Events found!