Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Battery has experienced permanent failure

I have a Dell inspiron 3521 and it's 8 months old. Today when I opened it this message appeared : "Your battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced. I can open the notebook when ac is on but the red led of battery is blinking and the battery can not be charged. Also in bios i get the same message about battery. Is this really a permanent failure ? It's just 8 monts old. What can I do ?  I still have warranty but I don't know if there is a Dell service in Greece and also I live on an island. 

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Hi geocool,

Update the system BIOS and check if the battery status gets changed. The link for the BIOS is http://dell.to/19HiWXs.

You may refer to the link http://dell.to/176grvH for steps on how to update the BIOS.

If updating the BIOS does not resolves the issue, share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) and I will check what best can be done.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

1 Message

December 1st, 2014 02:00

Hi ,

I have also faced same kind of issue.

My laptop battery was working fine(4 hrs backup) suddenly light began flashing orange on and off and then a sign came on saying "your battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced. The system will power down when the AC adapter is unplugged" 

I have updated system BIOS but no solution.

5.2K Posts

December 1st, 2014 07:00

It's not wise to do a BIOS update with a nonoperating battery. If there is a power failure during the update, the laptop can become a door stop, and the system board will need to be replace. Best to just send the information to Dell-Kuldeep.

1 Message

December 15th, 2014 09:00

i am facing same problem.

i also updated BIOS as you suggested still facing same problem.

my service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>  and my laptop is out of warranty. pls do the needful.

1 Message

February 28th, 2015 04:00

Hello,

I have also facing the same problem. I used the online dell diagnostic tool. It reports no error.

Best regards

16 Posts

June 24th, 2015 03:00

Now succeded to install Bios update but problem persists.

16 Posts

Hi, did you succeed to solve your problem?? If yes, can you please tell me how??

16 Posts

Hi, I did all the procedure above and when trying to install it said:

"You are about to flash your BIOs to an older version Dell does not recomend to flash your bios to an older version Press OK button to flash process and I cancelled, my currente version is A12/10/25/1013 dell inspiron 3521 touch screen running windows 8.1 Pro64-bit

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 24th, 2015 06:00

You need to replace the battery.

16 Posts

June 28th, 2015 10:00

Simply like that? There is not anything else I can do???

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2015 12:00

If there is no other symptom present -- such as failure to power up at all, or failure to recognize the AC adapter, then it's the battery that's at fault and the solution is to replace the battery.  Yes, it is that simple.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2015 15:00

I have an Alienware M17X R2 with this same error.  I replaced the battery and the battery is now fully charged.  But the boot still indicates a permanent error.  How do I clear the error?

1 Message

October 22nd, 2015 14:00

Try pulling the battery and holding power button for >30 seconds.

16 Posts

October 25th, 2015 01:00

You mean removing the battery and press the power button for 30 seconds?

November 4th, 2015 14:00

The sad thing is I have TWO Dell Inspiron 15R laptops so I have a comparison.

ONE equals a fluke, TWO is a pattern!

I guess these batteries are MADE to self destruct. Never buying a DELL computer again!!!

No Events found!