Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Battery has experienced permanent failure

I have a Dell inspiron 3521 and it's 8 months old. Today when I opened it this message appeared : "Your battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced. I can open the notebook when ac is on but the red led of battery is blinking and the battery can not be charged. Also in bios i get the same message about battery. Is this really a permanent failure ? It's just 8 monts old. What can I do ?  I still have warranty but I don't know if there is a Dell service in Greece and also I live on an island. 

1 Message

May 31st, 2016 23:00

Yes, this is called planned obsolescence and I think Dell (like any other company) should be ashamed to use such a policy..

Nothing else to do than replace the battery... 80$. Or try to prove the obsolescence and sue the company, but good luck with that !

:emotion-39:

June 5th, 2016 18:00

I experienced the same problem, just days after installing Windows 10

dell warning quickset your battery expereinced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced. The system will power down when the AC adapter is unplugged. The power indicator light is blinking orange.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. It is 1 yr and 8 mo old

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 05:00

Hi Kuldeep,

my laptop is showing this msg and red light is blinking. " Your battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced". I have updated BIOS system but facing same problem. I am able to open my laptop when power is connected and it is shut down when power disconnected.  plz suggest me the solution. Thanks.

5.2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 15:00

There is no conspiricy. These batteries have a finite life, depending on how many discharge/charge cycles and how low you let the battery discharge. Unless really necessary do not allow discharging below 30% or so. A battery contains a number of cells. If one cell has a slightly lower internal resistance than the others, it will experience a higher charging current and will age faster than the rest. A single bad cell will ruin the battery.

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 17:00

Dear Kirkd and Others,

I have recently purchased 2 Dell Vostro 15 Laptops. I hadn't used either for several weeks until today. I have turned both on and both IMMEDIATELY complain that there is a permanent fault with the battery.

***!!???

Both?? Brand new out of the box??? Both?? Brand new!!!?? What????

Therefore Kirkd, please stop spouting Dell propaganda about discharge cycles and other red herring irrelevancies when there is clearly a problem with these devices. Furthermore, please don't dismiss the idea of a conspiracy. Although a dramatic word, this probem has all the symptoms of consiratorial business practices when batteries are made to stop working (even though they may have continued operating with a shorter life span or lower capacity). We customers are left with no other choice than to buy a new battery.

These two laptops are the first Dell products I have ever bought. Genuinely. No lies, no angry spin. It's problems like this and Dell's reputation for doing things like this that have put me off their brand in the past. I wouldn't have bought them if I'd been able to easily source other devices with Windows 7. I shall request a refund and will return to avoiding Dell.

I hope that this post helps others because Dell are clearly producing very poor quality products.

Kindest regards

Triscott

June 28th, 2016 21:00

My battery still had lots of life in it. It lasted a good 4 hours still. This failure was sudden and had nothing to do a slow failure that has happened to every laptop and phone battery anyone has ever had. These failures are either built into the battery, a very poor quality of manufacture or design or it is a dell algorithm making the decision to state that your battery is dead so you buy one from Dell.

From the number of failures u can read about by googling this and by the fact that dell cant suppy the batteries fast enough and that the manufacturer has them on back order..cant build them fast enough.....you can take your guess at which it is.

My son told me that dell is filing for bankruptcy, maybe this is why???

1 Message

June 30th, 2016 07:00

The company I work for purchased 22 of the Inspiron 15 3000 series model 3542 Ship date Dec 2014.  The project was delayed so they sat on a shelf until 2 months ago when I started setting them up.  6 of them right out of the box had the permanent battery failure. 

It is clear that there is an issue with the batteries and apparently Dell has done nothing to correct it.

Fortunately there are other sources for replacements at half the cost.

1 Message

August 21st, 2016 08:00

hi

my laptop 1

Inspiron 15R 5521

I get this message when boot : "Your battery has experienced permanent failure"

battery is stuck at 30% charge no more no less, even with connected with power it shows not charging. 

when i disconnect power cord, it turns off. 

I upgraded to win 8.1 few days back, otherwise laptop works fine. 

I updated BIOS system as you suggested, still not resolved. 

Appreciate your help.

1 Message

September 30th, 2016 18:00

Ignore all that warning,  shut down your laptop, remove the ill-fated battery, hold the your power button for 30 sec or until you hear a beep sound replace the ill-fated battery. Then let me know what happens... :-) This will reset all your power management unit settings including all your battery settings. If this doesn't solve it, then you may be looking at a new battery. All thanks to "Tanch Battery" She solved this problem in another blog...!

1 Message

October 31st, 2016 23:00

Hi Guys

I myself is facing this issue with this message from BIOS saying "Permanant Failure"

I tried all the stuffs like going to device manager and uninstalling AC adapter drivers and Battery monitoring drivers these are not helping

even bios update is not helping

There is real problem with QUICKSET driver that comes from dell and there is no other faults other than this

Dell is surely to be blamed for these really inappropriate softwares

I do have charge in my battery of 56% still it shuts down after power code removed

and quickset did not solve my issue 

it previously did when my system inspiron 3521 stopped charging at 80% but this time no luck

Guys it would be a better option to check quickset driver

Keep me updated on result guys

Thanks

1 Message

February 23rd, 2017 23:00

NEVER I MEAN NEVER BUY A DELL LAPTOP.

I shut down my laptop and next morning turn it on find out "permanent battery failure" message.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 24th, 2017 12:00

You mean "never buy a laptop".  All notebooks have batteries, and all batteries eventually fail.

If you don't want to deal with a battery failure, buy a desktop system.

1 Message

June 28th, 2017 22:00

hello i've got almost identical issues. i've updated my BIOS as suggested but the battery indicator is still blinking red and telling me that it has permanent failure

No Events found!