Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2011 22:00

Battery indicator starts at 82% when unplugged

The title really says it all.. When i unplug my laptop from AC... it just drops straight to 82% even after a few hours of charging.. but once i plug it back in.. it goes back to 100% after like a minute or two... any idea how i can adjust this? I just want it to be normal again... like.. 100% is 100% 

3.8K Posts

November 12th, 2011 01:00

Hio Sinclare,

Welcome to the Community. Your system model could have helped. I suggest you update your Bios to see if that fixes it. If it still says the same thing then try another battery, or it could be an issue with your motherboard.

To update your Bios, log on to support.dell.com, click on drivers and downloads, click on service tag, and enter your service tag, and you should be able to see bios to download and install it. You will need both the battery and the ac adapter connected to the system whne flashing the bios.

Thank you

Royan

4 Posts

November 12th, 2011 01:00

thank you very much Royan~ i will give that a try.. my model is xps 15z so hahas.. yea the battery will always be connected

4 Posts

November 12th, 2011 05:00

Hey man it worked my meter is working fine now (:

1 Message

November 12th, 2011 07:00

My XPS15Z does the same thing.  Except now it goes to 41% when I unplug.  I had read on another thread to try updating the bios, which I did, and still no improvement.  I am going to contact customer support and see what to do next.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2011 11:00

Try draining your battery to the point it goes to about 1% then charge it again.. if that 41% thing happens = your battery is screwed so u can get a replacement.. or, they would just hardware update it.. i heard its a "good habit" to drain your batt to critical about once a month to keep your battery meter incheck.. not sure how true that is.. but just dont totally drain to 0% i heard thats bad too =d

March 13th, 2012 05:00

Just started having the same issue last night, updated the bios but i'm still having this issue.  Also once I use the battery and it discharges past 50% it goes right to 5% and shuts down

No Events found!