Ba1Ban_
1 Copper

Battery is not charging in lap

Hello. I have droppped my lap once and gone to charge with wrong charger.

After that my lap is not charge the battery. In BIOS adapter is showing unknown but my original adapter is switch on my lap without battery even. Before discharge my battery was worked too after dropping.

Now the problem is- lap is opening in plug but not charging the battery. Battery down to 0%. What can I do .? Please help ..

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Battery is not charging in lap

Hi BA1BAN_,

What is the exact system model? 

Is there any cracks / dents on the chassis after the drop? Are all the other ports functional?

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If the adapter fits in loose, the DC port needs to be replaced.

You could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

RE: Battery is not charging in lap

If the adapter isn't recognized, the battery won't charge.

Since you know you've dropped the system, chances are either the plug on the adapter is broken, or the jack in the system is faulty.  Replace the adapter first -- with a new OEM Dell unit.  If that doesn't show up as recognized, and the system has a replaceable DC jack (most, but not all new ones do), replace the DC jack.  If the jack isn't replaceable, or that doesn't solve the problem, replace the mainboard.

0 Kudos