Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2017 04:00

Battery is plugged in, not charging -0 % available

I am getting this error on my laptop and it is only 8 months old and have tried 2 batteries and the same thing is happening and Dell customer support last night told us it is NOT covered under warranty because it is wear and tear which does not make any sense to me i have owed several dells in the past and never had this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

The problem is with the adapter, DC jack or mainboard - replace the parts one at a time until the problem is solved.

As long as there's no evident damage (broken wires on the plug, broken DC jack) the warranty should cover the problem.

If there is evidence of damage - broken wires, broken jack, physical damage to the system -- Dell will deny warranty coverage as it'll be considered accidental damage.

If you need parts references we'll need to know what model system it is (i.e., Inspiron 5537, XPS L501x, etc.).

2K Posts

February 25th, 2017 14:00

Hi RONNJERI,

What is the exact system model?

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records and I shall review the warranty details and advise further course of action based on your region.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

February 26th, 2017 21:00

Hi,

I want to know whether the same battery is working on another laptop. If it is working, please update your BIOS.

1 Message

June 4th, 2017 05:00

hi rishi..as you rightly mentioned my adapter cable is falling off easily and i am also facing the same issue of " plugged in , not chargng"..kindly advise what would i need to do?

2K Posts

June 4th, 2017 21:00

Hi DEEPTIGANJI,

What is the exact system model?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

If the adapter falls off easily, the dc port is suspected loose and it needs to be replaced.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!