Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 26th, 2009 05:00

Battery light blinking, not charging.

I have a 4+ year old Inspiron 9300 laptop. It has the original battery & AC adapter cord. I usually leave it connected to the adapter. As of this mornining the amber colored battery light is blinking non stop.

I switched the AC adapter from another Dell PC, the light is still blinking. In control panel under power options, it indicates the battery is charging. It's showing 80% charged and rising. However the light continues to blink.

It looks like the battery is the issue, but I was under the impression the PC could operate with just the AC adapter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jls

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2009 06:00

The system can operate from just the AC adapter, with no battery installed.  If it doesn't, and you've tried another adapter, you've a mainboard fault.

The battery is likely dead as well.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2009 09:00

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=2999&mfgpid=167573&chassisid=-1

62 Posts

Yes, the it =battery. Thanks for your help. Do you have a suggestion on where to purchase a new one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the "it" refers to your removing the battery, then yes, it's time to replace the battery with a new one.

62 Posts

It is operating from the AC adapter without the battery installed. Also the blinking power light has stopped when I removed it. Does that narrow it down to the battery?

No Events found!