obersniggy
1 Nickel

Battery meter jumps from 100% to 92% when unplugging ac-adapter

Hi there,

this is my first post and i've a question concerning the battery-status of my vostro 3300 laptop. The problem is, that whenever the battery is fully charged and i unplug the ac-adapter, the battery meter of win7 suddenly jumps from 100% to 92%-94%. i already got a new battery, but still there is exact the same problem. In another forum i read, that this a known problem (not just dell laptops). Is there any solution for this problem or could someone explain, why that happens?

Thank you very much,

best regards from Germany

Karl

0 Kudos
6 Replies
obersniggy
1 Nickel

Re: Battery meter jumps from 100% to 92% when unplugging ac-adapter

Has nobody an idea? Plz help...

0 Kudos
obersniggy
1 Nickel

Hi, maybe now anybody has an idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Values displayed are usually calculated from values coming from the gauge chip
in the laptop battery
.You might want to try the same with a free different  OS, no need
to install anything on the harddisk. If it's the same its laptop battery causing these
value jumps.

Cheers!

LaptopNomad
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

0 Kudos
obersniggy
1 Nickel

Hi LaptopNomad,

thank you for the answer! I just installed XP - same Problem. Now i will try Linux Live CD and i'll see what happens. By the way - do you know a battery calibration tool for Vostro Laptops`?

Cheers

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

For battery calibration - known as a qualified discharge - have a look at the how
laptop battery capacity is being calculated. It's an automatic feature of most laptop
batteries nowadays - the conditions triggers the function also known as capacity
learning.

Windows 7 has a standard function that triggers capacity learning - which is an
intrusive test btw. Meaning the measurement affects the actual capacity for a bit.

LaptopNomad
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

0 Kudos
obersniggy
1 Nickel

Hi,

i just tried Linux Live OS, but unfortunatly the problem still exists. So 3 different OS show me suddenly the same Charge Level (92%) when i unplug the AC Adapter (Load: 100%). I read the Link you posted above, but i didn't understand everything written there. Maybe the reading of the battery has to be kind of trained by the appropiate circuits? Or should i contact Dell Service again? What do you think? If it is not a serious technical problem, then i don't mind... It doesn't bother me if the battery meter shows incorrect values, but if the battery charging level REAL loses 8% (not only incorrect reading by Win7) when i unplug AC, then it's a little bit disappointing in my opinion...

regards

0 Kudos