Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2013 09:00

Battery models for Dell 1318 - 9 cell Battery

Hi people

I would like to ask anyone of there to help me out. I have a Dell 1318 with a new Screen Display. A friend, who is an Engineer, told me than very probably the battery will last less for the screen replacement..

Also, this laptop has been used for quite a time. My father gave it to me. It has a a new 1 Tera Drive, So I am not looking forward to changing for a new one, just replacing the old not lasting battery.

I bought an "original" 9 cell battery online at Ebay which is supposed to last separately from A/C about 2 Hrs... but with it exclusively, last about 30 minutes or less and suddently the computer shuts down without any warning message of energy decay. This is very weird. This seems that the battery isn't original at all or is corrupted or damaged.

I have installed a software to monitor the status of the battery but this can't avoid or make the battery last longer.

I would appreciate information about models of battery for my Dell Inspiron 1318, and ways to test why this problem of espontaneous shut down with battery still charged happens.

Thanks.

6 Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

The item bought is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell-XPS-M1330-9-Cell-Battery-85WH-PU556-/230960592627?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Battery Type:  Li-ion

Voltage:  11.1v

Capacity:   85Wh

Cells:   9 cells

Warranty:  One year warranty

Condition:  Brand New/ Original

Battery code:  D1330H-OG

What's on the battery:

Made in Japan. Dell Battery Module. Rechargable Li-ion Battery. Type PU556. Rating 11.1 V Capacity 85 WH.

I bought it but it took over 30 days to arrive home, since I live in Ecuador and Dell doesn´t offer batteries for my laptop model anymore.

2K Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi juan1984,

Request you to provide the part number or serial number of the battery which is either mentioned on the battery or on the purchase invoice. I will first check if it is a Dell branded original battery. How long has it been since you purchased it? Did you ever get a better backup on this battery?

You may also use the below link to increase the battery backup:

http://bit.ly/8b0BYc

If you any other questions do reply to the same thread.

2K Posts

June 5th, 2013 11:00

Hi juan1984,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Based on the information that you have provided it looks like a Dell compatible battery. However, was the battery giving the same backup since day one? If yes, I would suggest you to contact the eBay to get a replacement one (as it was purchased from eBay).

6 Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I would rather prefer a more definitive answer like "it is" or it's not" a Dell Compatible Battery, what you might need to have it in hands .... The problem. Thanks anyway.

I am contacting the seller for solving this issue. Since I got the battery to increase the lifetime of my laptop due to the screen replacement, I tested the durability of the battery, I did it the very first days. I fully charged it - I verified it with Windows. I left it charging for about 3 hours. And then use my laptop just with the battery. I was playing a simple game, I checked the charge every 5 minutes. The charge was about 30% and then the pc suddently shutted down...

I charged the battery again, and did it again... It happened again... Then i am using a software for more accurate information about the battery. It fluctuates easily and quickly. And then shutted down again. I won't do it again since my computer might damage. Right?

I expect to get this through with no further problems.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 5th, 2013 14:00

It is a clone, or third-party battery -- it is not an OEM Dell battery.

2K Posts

June 7th, 2013 16:00

Hi juan1984,

Non efficient battery may lead you to depend more on the AC adapter, in this situation the best thing to do is to contact the seller for replacement options. Let us know if the issue persists even after you get a battery replacement.

6 Posts

June 7th, 2013 17:00

Hi Dell-Kiran

I friend told me that replacing the Screen will consume more energy. Nevertheless I expected the Battery to last what It should. Since it's a "compatible model", I can't even get an decent estimate, or may I based on the number or cells but since it's defective... I won't be able to.

I've contacted the seller. The seller asked for "images", I don't know to make conclusions of the status based on the pictures. But that's what the seller asked. Then offered replacement, just replacement, not with the same. I have not taked much attention to this since now. Should I tell Ebay Consumer Support?

I believe they should replace with the same battery type, right, or maybe I wrong?

I don't want to try out the "Battery lifetime test" again, because It might damage my laptop, and it might cost me more than the battery itself. And that's not smart at all. I've done it some times. For me that's fine and enough to be sure that's some wrong with the battery. Also I've installed some apps to get a more accurate estimate of the battery status and to monitor it. Now it's supposed to be fully charged but It won't last more than an hour and a half. It decays really fast.

2K Posts

June 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi juan1984,

Request you to follow the instructions given by the retailer as they might have different policies and procedures. Please go ahead and send the pictures. We are not aware if they will send the same battery type or a different one. However you may check if the replacement battery is compatible once you receive it.

6 Posts

June 11th, 2013 09:00

I've sent the pics but they want me to send back the battery. It'd take a long time. It's been a headache! As said, cheap things might cost higher than expected. Just to receive the battery it took 4 weeks, to them to get it back (China) I'd take about 4 weeks, for "the tests" just say 1, to keep with the same unit, and 4 weeks for me to get it back... Also to send it back the price will double. Not worth it. Also, I didn't think it through - check it when I receive if this compatible, it might not be again, then the same procedure again.

I just ask for a refund.

I think Dell doesn't have more original batteries for the Inspiron 1318, right? I look for them at Dell.com. I didn't find any.

2K Posts

June 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi juan1984,

Currently Dell does not have batteries for Inspiron 1318. However as suggested in the previous post you can contact the retailer to check if they have a refund option if not do follow the instructions provided by them to get an exchange.

No Events found!