Highlighted
Not applicable

Battery not Charging

Hi, I've been using my Dell Inspiron 5559 carefully for the past 6 months and have a persistent problem for the last 3 months.

Whenever I turn on, plug in or awaken my laptop I am now receiving the "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge" message along with the BIOS message and "the plugged in not charging" message.

Although the battery is not charging, the laptop is still working fine otherwise when plugged in. It currently has <51% battery left and also seems to be operating as normal when not plugged in.

As the battery will soon deplete, I am essentially using my laptop as a desktop and am requiring it to be plugged in constantly.

Some things I have tried so far & other notes:

• Cleaning, dusting, reconnecting, removing the adapter and moving it around a bit etc.
  • The Dell AC adapter is working fine - the blue indicator light is working.
  • The laptop works when plugged in and there is no battery inserted.
  • The same issue occurs on multiple plug sockets around my house
  • The same issue occurs when using a replacement new AC adapter.
  • Cleaning, dusting, reconnecting, removing the battery and moving it around a bit etc
  • Dell battery meter says "Your battery is performing normally"
  • No problems have been detected when using the Diagnostic tools for hardware
  • Update: BIOS is fully updated
  • AC Adapter is listed as 'Unknown' on BIOS
  • Uninstall/re-install battery driver

I have yet to buy a new battery due to the price & as I am unsure whether this is actually a battery issue as I am seeing similar problems listed here...

Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
10 Diamond

RE: Battery not Charging

If the system is under warranty, call Dell for repair.
If not, first try a new OEM Dell AC adapter.  If that doesn't get the system to recognize the adapter, replace the DC power jack next:

<<blog.parts-people.com/2016/03/01/dell-inspiron-15-5559-p51f-004-dc-jack-removal-installation/>>

And if that doesn't do it, replace the mainboard.

Without a recognized AC adapter, the battery will not charge (though the system will run).

0 Kudos