Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AS

February 23rd, 2013 05:00

Battery not charging.. HELP!

i bought my dell xps L502X last june but recently my battery is giving me problems. sometimes when i connect my charger i get the following pop up

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined.

Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge.

This problem might be solved by:

Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation.

Connect a Dell 130W AC adapter or higher.

I've never used the battery badly. I always charge it to a 100% and then disconnect the charger and use the charge down to 7% until it asks me to plug in the charger. I keep disconnecting and reconnecting the charger or trying switching on and off the switch until it starts detecting my charger. This has started only recently and i was having no problems before. I updated my bios to the latest version but nothing helps. My laptop is still in the warranty till 22-05-2013. What should i do?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 07:00

If you have a warranty, then the problem will be covered unless there's physical damage to the system.Try a new adapter first - if that doesn't solve the problem, the next thing to replace is the power jack (see below) --- and if that doesn't solve the adapter not recognized issue, replace the mainbord.

Once the AC adapter is recognized, the battery will charge -- unless the battery itself is faulty.

Power jack:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

50 Posts

HI and welcome, I have seen this before and the solution was to get a new battery and ac supply

It cured the f.ault totally

HTH

phil.

is there any chance this will be covered in the warranty? i suppose battery warranty is one year right? and do both of them need to be changed or just one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 08:00

Yes. If the system is under warranty, call Dell for repair.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Unfortunately, on this model, the battery isn't removeable.

iv never caused physical damage to the system so hopefully it should be covered in the warranty.. but if i can claim the warranty and get it fixed won't  that be a better idea instead of buying a new adapter?

5.2K Posts

Whatever the problem, using on battery all the time will kill it rapidly. They are only going to give 100-200 recharges. Also, discharging to 7% is not good; you will lose battery life each time you do this. Lithium batteries live the longest if only discharged to 25-35%.

Try this fix. Unplug the charger, remove the battery and hold down the ON button for 10 seconds. Then reinstall the battery and plug back in.  If this doesn't help, repeat, but plug in the charger before plugging in the charger.

You can buy batteries from Amazon or eBay for far less than the cost of an OEM battery.

thanks for the info i thought using all the battery was more beneficial ill recharge from 25% now onwards. But you confused me a bit with the fix part..

if i unplug the charger and the battery then won't my laptop just shut down because of no power connection? what will holding the ON button for 10 seconds do then? and "plug in the charger before plugging in the charger"???? O.o

it is removable..

No Events found!