Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 04:00

Battery not charging above 79% Dell XPS12 9Q23

Hi all,

a couple of days ago I was working on my Dell XPS 12 using only battery and then suddenly it went black. No way to restart it. Arrived at home, plugged into the socket and it was all ok, but it is only working with socket connected.

I noticed that battery now is always at 79% and not moving at all. I thought that I need a new battery but the weird think is that USB 3.0 that I used for charging smartphone, is now working only when the computer is running: even if socket is connect, with computer off, is now not anymore charging.

I am in the doubt that the problem is not the battery but something more serious, obviously I do not want to buy a £85 new battery to test it.. Any help is appreciated. Thank you much.

Best regards,

Stefano

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly try the following steps:

1- Run diagnostics on the system to check for hardware error(if any)

2- check AC adapter type in BIOS 

3- Update chipset and USB 3.0 drivers

4- Set the battery charging to standard

5- Battery health in BIOS 

Also check if you have know good adapter .

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 11:00

Hi Robin,

done all steps above:

-Battery is normal 47Wh: design charge % 81 (should not be 100%), actual charge at 80%, full capacity 37,84Wh, actual charge 29,94 Wh

- Bios checked, AC adapter 45Wh (as expected), battery health in the Bios is normal

No abnormal warnings from the diagnostics.

But, consider that less than 6 months ago I got my motherboard replaced. Warranty already expired unfortunately. Please, any suggestion? Thank you much.

Best regards,

Stefano

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply .

Looks like there is an issue with the battery which needs to be replaced as the battery comes with a standard 1 yr warranty and the system is out of warranty there would be a charge for the same.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 08:00

Stupid question Robin, how can I send you a private message?

Thanks,

Stefano

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

Add me to your list and you will be able to private message me .

Thanks

Robin

No Events found!