This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

47 Posts

October 19th, 2007 16:00

Battery not identified???????

Hi, 

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501.

Recently, when I switch it on it has been coming up with the following message:

"Warning:  The battery cannot be identified.  This system will be unable to charge the battery.  Press any key to continue. Press 2 times to enter setup.  Press and any key to enter boot menu"

The battery charges ok and the pc works alright too.  How can I stop the message coming up?  It is the same battery that was supplied with the PC.

Thanks alot

3.6K Posts

October 19th, 2007 17:00

How old is the battery?... try turning off laptop pull the battery out,then put it back in and reboot.If you still have problem battery might be nearing its end of life and time for a new one.

47 Posts

October 20th, 2007 16:00

Tried that - no difference.  Don't think the PC is a year old yet - so it's probably still covered by some sort of warranty.  I'll have to dig the paperwork out

10 Posts

October 23rd, 2007 10:00

you will need to replace the battery.
I have faced the same issue.

47 Posts

October 23rd, 2007 15:00

Do you reckon it's covered by some sort of guarantee?

1 Message

November 25th, 2007 23:00

hello,
Paul
Did you solve this battery issue changing the battery ?
I have the same lap. and I have near a year with my inspiron 1501 , im also have the same issue on battery ,

regards
saul

March 4th, 2008 11:00

I have a 1501 that is 16 months old and I get this message as well. The kicker is that the battery will charge, windows does see it and I still get a long charge life, about 75% of when new, out of it.

Is this just a sign that the battery is on it's way out?

47 Posts

March 4th, 2008 18:00

I'm still having the same problem with the battery, but the Laptop is still working fine.  I have the thing with the charging but mine goes to 98%.  It still runs off the battery fine too.

I'd say it's nothing to worry about for the time being.  It's not very good for Dell though that these batteries aren't lasting.  Surely the life should be more than a year on them?

1 Message

November 11th, 2008 08:00

My Inspiron 131L is also only 18 months old and it gets the same message. The battery only keeps its charge for about 1 hour now. Looks like it is a common problem. I saw that there was a Dell recall on batteries a couple years ago, but the Latitude 131L was not part of that recall. I agree that Dell should provide longer lasting batteries.

No Events found!