Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Battery plugged in, not charging?

Well, the charger is plugged in, but it says not charging. This has happened twice. I would have thought bad battery or bad charger, except luckily the first time it occured right after buying a new hard drive. I did a hard reset on the battery and that worked.

Now, it has happened again. I tried the regular battery reset, but that did not work. I tried uninstalling device and reinstall..did not work either.

Oddly, what did work was the following:

I had about 38% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from both laptop and wall outlet.

I removed the batter. Computer went dead.

I wiped the battery connectors with a clean cloth several times.

I put the batter back in and turned the laptop on with battery only.

I plugged power cord into side of laptop, then into wall outlet.

Immediately, the laptop began charging again! 

I am not sure why this worked. Maybe some techy out there may know. When I tried the battery reset, I turned the computer off before taking out the battery. Then took it out. Plugged in laptop with power cord and powered it. Then shut down and placed battery in. I turned back on..but nothing...

It may have to do with having the laptop already on when taking out the battery, or placing back the power cord, or could just be the wiping the battery with cloth????

1.5K Posts

March 20th, 2013 21:00

Hi thelights007,

It seems to be an hardware issue and parts replacement may be required. Usually the issue is with the charging port on the laptop.

Depending on the system model either the charging port or the entire motherboard replacement is required.

Please share the system model, also the system service tag in a private message.

Please click  on my name highlighted in blue, and click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

4 Posts

March 20th, 2013 21:00

Have you tried everything I listed here: http://mye-life.blogspot.com/2013/02/dell-laptop-plugged-in-not-charging.html

It includes a pretty comprehensive list to narrow down the problem.  It sounds to me like your charging port wire is broken like mine was. 

1 Message

April 5th, 2013 06:00

It's not even so difficult.

My issue was fixed only by pressing fn + f2 (i do have a alienware MX14, but try this first, if you have a battery sign somewhere on your keyboard).

Hope this helps anybody.

16 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 21:00

pls help me...i already tried bios update. but it didnt work for me...pls help...i have checked if my adapter and battery is recognized, in boot setup using f2. pls help me.

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

please  what is the model of your laptop

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi imgotico,

I see that you have updated the BIOS on your system and still the Battery is not charging.

I would suggest you to let us know the status of the AC Adapter in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mention to know the status.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
  3. Check under ‘AC Adapter Type’ when AC adapter is connected to the system.

Please reply us with the findings.

16 Posts

May 4th, 2013 13:00

dell 1545

16 Posts

May 4th, 2013 13:00

its 65 watt. pls help me.. tnx

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 19:00

after plugging ac adapter and battery please tell me how many volts in the coil ( L9 )

also touch the four components marked in the schematic and tell me if there is overheating on one off them

hf possible tell me all volts in those components

http://img1.imagilive.com/0513/05-05-2013_02-17-57.png

16 Posts

May 5th, 2013 05:00

oh no, i dont understand this diagram. im sorry :(

934 Posts

May 5th, 2013 08:00

imgotico

if

> the battery is recognized

> the power adapter is recognized

> and Windows reports "plugged in,not charging

it could be a problem with Windows or the mainboard

==========================================

If the battery is partly discharged does the white power Led turn on when the laptop is turned off and then connected

to the power adapter?

If yes it would mean that the battery is being charged and Windows causes the trouble.

If the white Led doesn't turn on it's probably a bad mainboard

There is one more test you can try out:

boot to the BIOS screen and observe the power adapter status as you carefully wiggle the cable

that connects to the power jack.If power adapter status changes from 65W to "unknown" either the cable of the power adapter or the power jack is loose/broken.

Before replacing a mainboard I would try a different battery/power adapter (even though the system tells you they are fine) - maybe you can borrow the parts from a friend - don't waste money.......

2 Posts

May 17th, 2013 16:00

This may seem absurdly easy but I regularly have the same problems and fix it every time by simply not plugging in until the start up screen is ready and all the icons have appeared. Obviously this means you must have some power remaining on your battery but if you do, give it a try. It works for me.

If I plug in immediately, before I've even turned on the computer, the battery never charges and the only way to remedy it is to either do all that removing the battery in the right order stuff (which doesn't always work anyway) or switching off and starting over again as I suggest above. Incidentally, I also noticed that if I leave it running on just the battery for too long initially and then remember to plug in after a few minutes, the window of oportunity appears to have gone and it completely refuses to charge.

Probably not the panacea most people are looking for but if it works for me it may work for one or two others.

4 Posts

May 17th, 2013 20:00

Unfortunately, you have the same symptoms to the open connection problem I described earlier.  I would suggest you crack open the laptop and resolder the connection, as having a floppy wire occasionally make contact is not a good idea (it becomes like a fuse). If you disagree, then prove me wrong. I see a lot of people with silly ideas like yours, and it does nothing but mislead people down the wrong path.  computers behave consistently and predictably, unless there is a problem.  You have a problem.  Eventually, it will stop working altogether.  go ahead and fix it now, so you can enjoy the fixed status of your laptop longer.

2 Posts

May 21st, 2013 13:00

Steady on there old bean. There's no need to take that tone. I was only trying to help.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2013 09:00

I managed to create a 'plugged in not charging' problem on my own while swapping out a dead hard drive on a Dell 14R n4110 laptop. As with others who have encountered this problem I discovered the BIOS did not recognize the charger and the battery refused to charge. 

There is a ribbon cable which runs across the fan connecting the small AC plug & VGA connector circuit board to the motherboard. I disconnected the cable for access to the fan and motherboard but didn't seat it properly after replacing the HD and reassembling the unit. Seating correctly rectified the problem. Thanks to those who shared how Dell laptops verify their charging units - I never would have suspected that.

Just a heads up for anyone else who discovers the battery no longer charges after working with the mobo.

No Events found!