take it easy
3 Argentium

Re: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

Hi,

please  what is the model of your laptop

0 Kudos

Re: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

Hi imgotico,

I see that you have updated the BIOS on your system and still the Battery is not charging.

I would suggest you to let us know the status of the AC Adapter in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mention to know the status.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F2> key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
  3. Check under ‘AC Adapter Type’ when AC adapter is connected to the system.

Please reply us with the findings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
imgotico
1 Copper

Jump to solution

its 65 watt. pls help me.. tnx

0 Kudos
imgotico
1 Copper

Jump to solution

dell 1545

0 Kudos
take it easy
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

after plugging ac adapter and battery please tell me how many volts in the coil ( L9 )

also touch the four components marked in the schematic and tell me if there is overheating on one off them

hf possible tell me all volts in those components

http://img1.imagilive.com/0513/05-05-2013_02-17-57.png

0 Kudos
imgotico
1 Copper

Jump to solution

oh no, i dont understand this diagram. im sorry 😞

0 Kudos
MicroTest
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

imgotico

if

> the battery is recognized

> the power adapter is recognized

> and Windows reports "plugged in,not charging

it could be a problem with Windows or the mainboard

==========================================

If the battery is partly discharged does the white power Led turn on when the laptop is turned off and then connected

to the power adapter?

If yes it would mean that the battery is being charged and Windows causes the trouble.

If the white Led doesn't turn on it's probably a bad mainboard

There is one more test you can try out:

boot to the BIOS screen and observe the power adapter status as you carefully wiggle the cable

that connects to the power jack.If power adapter status changes from 65W to "unknown" either the cable of the power adapter or the power jack is loose/broken.

Before replacing a mainboard I would try a different battery/power adapter (even though the system tells you they are fine) - maybe you can borrow the parts from a friend - don't waste money.......

0 Kudos
corky01
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This may seem absurdly easy but I regularly have the same problems and fix it every time by simply not plugging in until the start up screen is ready and all the icons have appeared. Obviously this means you must have some power remaining on your battery but if you do, give it a try. It works for me.

If I plug in immediately, before I've even turned on the computer, the battery never charges and the only way to remedy it is to either do all that removing the battery in the right order stuff (which doesn't always work anyway) or switching off and starting over again as I suggest above. Incidentally, I also noticed that if I leave it running on just the battery for too long initially and then remember to plug in after a few minutes, the window of oportunity appears to have gone and it completely refuses to charge.

Probably not the panacea most people are looking for but if it works for me it may work for one or two others.

Paul U
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, you have the same symptoms to the open connection problem I described earlier.  I would suggest you crack open the laptop and resolder the connection, as having a floppy wire occasionally make contact is not a good idea (it becomes like a fuse). If you disagree, then prove me wrong. I see a lot of people with silly ideas like yours, and it does nothing but mislead people down the wrong path.  computers behave consistently and predictably, unless there is a problem.  You have a problem.  Eventually, it will stop working altogether.  go ahead and fix it now, so you can enjoy the fixed status of your laptop longer.

0 Kudos
corky01
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Steady on there old bean. There's no need to take that tone. I was only trying to help.

0 Kudos