RE: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

My girlfriend is having issues with her Dell Inspiron 1545. Her battery won't charge. We have tried to take the battery out and clean it, we have taken the battery out to see if it will run on the charger cord and it does, we have even tried to do the BIOS update, but her battery is at 0% and so the BIOS won't allow us to update her computer. Do you have any other ideas as to what we can do to fix this? She has become very frustrated with the computer, and I don't blame her

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

RE: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

Check the BIOS setup. If the AC adapter is listed as "unknown", the battery won't charge.

If that's the case, try a new Dell OEM AC adapter first.  If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the DC jack:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6444

And if that doesn't solve it, replace the mainboard.

A BIOS update will not help -- this is a hardware problem with the adapter, jack or mainboard.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We tried to check the BIOS, it won't do anything because her computer is at 0%

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

You mentioned that it will run on AC power - is that not the case?  If it won't run on either AC or battery -- and the LED on the adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end - that's a different situation and likely indicates a faulty system board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Paul U
1 Copper

Jump to solution
One thing to check is the cord itself. For instance, I just purchased a new battery, and sometimes it will get charged, and sometimes not, depending on how the terminal end of the cord is bent. Before I buy a new transformer, I'll take it to the store and plug it into some other Dell's and see how it charges them (or not).
0 Kudos
NOLA12
1 Copper

Jump to solution

As for the Dell laptop (various models), "plugged in, not charging" AC power adapter or "brick" issue:

- if you have a Dell computer (mine is a Dell N5110), Dell battery and a Dell charger - you probably have to buy a new battery or a Dell branded charger (based on what I have read on the net). There is a "Dallas chip" referenced in the Dell AC adapter in the above video and also mentioned elsewhere. The brick for my laptop is huge and heavy - 2x the size or more of any other laptop AC adapter that I have ever used on any other machine. In brief, this is how Dell screws us as consumers - there is absolutely NO OTHER REASON for doing this.

- if you have a non Dell AC adapter you are also screwed. I have also called Dell. They will tell you the problem is with the adapter. Usually they will try to convince the consumer that the Universal chargers that work for almost every laptop are simply not powerful enough to both power up and also to charge the battery. What sheer nonsense. Yes, the Dell huge brick wants to pull 50% more amps than the Universal AC adapters. The battery system used by Dell purposely requires more power than required by almost everyone else. Why - to make the consumer pay more. There is NO OTHER REASON for doing this, especially in a lower grade, non-gamer laptop. So please, respond to this by trying to buy a working brick cheap off Ebay or from a 3rd party seller / supplier - but only if they will guarantee that their brick will both power the laptop and charge up the battery back to 100%. You might want to check Apple / Mac vendors 1st, as they tend to be super nice over the phone and may be able to help you cheaply and easily.

Putting the AC plug at the back of the laptop and not using a right angle AC adapter pin was another stroke of design ineptness. This design leads to numerous problems. Just another way for Dell to make money when the plug loosens, etc.

The N5110 can be a good laptop in other areas: my build had a full set of number keys, a large HD and memory and some USB 3.0 ports. However, replacing the hard drive is a disaster - again a terrible design. The keyboard keys are not backlit and are terribly hard to see in low light - again poor design features. I paid extra for in home repair service - and in the US, this was wonderful.

lila_oded
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, it helped to sort the problem and my laptop battery is charging, 

emoticon.Idea.title Your idea was much appreciated.:emotion-55:

0 Kudos
Evy_Indonesia
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, at first i updated the bios system and it worked. My laptop battery is charging.

But a few days later, the same problem occured. I tried to remove the battery and placed it again. Still not charging. I can't update the bios system again since its already updated.

Please help me. Its frustrating

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a similar problem. In the middle of using the computer last night, while it was plugged into the AC and NOT running on battery, the battery light started flashing (4 x orange, 1 x white) and it says "95% available, charging not plugged in". When I open the battery meter the "battery status" section says "battery charging disabled", and the "battery health" section says "your battery is on temporary failure state".

I tried unplugging and replugging the charger. Nada.

I thought it may have gotten too hot (though I hadn't been on long), so I closed it down and tried opening it a few hours later. Still flashing and I got a message stating there was a temporary failure and that I should close down the computer and try again when it's cool, press F1 to continue or press F2 to go to the (sorry forgot the name) menu.

Tried F2, made sure AC was recognized and charging and warnings enabled, hit F10 and saved. Annnndd then I got bumped back to same error screen. Hit F1, Windows loaded, and still not charging and light flashing.

Tried updating BIOS and flashing. Nada (though strangely no flashing lights while updating and flashing).

Tried updating Quickset. Nada

Tried running diagnostics and trouble shooting. Nope, nothing seems wrong.

Tried turning off battery charging through the battery meter and rebooting. Nada

Tried removing battery and cleaning contacts. Nada. The battery shows all 5 LEDs when I press the button on it though.

Tried removing the battery and booting computer only using AC, then turning off, then putting battery back in and turning back on. Nada

Tried taking battery out, unplugging AC, pressing down on power button for 20-30 seconds then putting battery back in and booting. Nada

I have no idea what it is. My computer is 3 years old, but I would have thought I would simply have less usage out of the battery then this happening so I am not sure replacing the battery would help. And the cost is a lot of $$ for me right now. I have no warranty left.

While I mainly use the computer as a desktop, I travel upon  occasion for work and need to use it as a true laptop too. 

Help please! Is there something I can do, or is it really time for a new battery. Can I be assured that if I buy a new battery it will work?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention I have an XPS 15, L502x

0 Kudos