Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Battery plugged in, not charging?

Well, the charger is plugged in, but it says not charging. This has happened twice. I would have thought bad battery or bad charger, except luckily the first time it occured right after buying a new hard drive. I did a hard reset on the battery and that worked.

Now, it has happened again. I tried the regular battery reset, but that did not work. I tried uninstalling device and reinstall..did not work either.

Oddly, what did work was the following:

I had about 38% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from both laptop and wall outlet.

I removed the batter. Computer went dead.

I wiped the battery connectors with a clean cloth several times.

I put the batter back in and turned the laptop on with battery only.

I plugged power cord into side of laptop, then into wall outlet.

Immediately, the laptop began charging again! 

I am not sure why this worked. Maybe some techy out there may know. When I tried the battery reset, I turned the computer off before taking out the battery. Then took it out. Plugged in laptop with power cord and powered it. Then shut down and placed battery in. I turned back on..but nothing...

It may have to do with having the laptop already on when taking out the battery, or placing back the power cord, or could just be the wiping the battery with cloth????

1 Message

January 11th, 2014 01:00

Thank you so much, it helped to sort the problem and my laptop battery is charging, 

:emotion-55: Your idea was much appreciated.:emotion-55:

1 Message

February 24th, 2014 01:00

I have the same problem, at first i updated the bios system and it worked. My laptop battery is charging.

But a few days later, the same problem occured. I tried to remove the battery and placed it again. Still not charging. I can't update the bios system again since its already updated.

Please help me. Its frustrating

March 3rd, 2014 11:00

I forgot to mention I have an XPS 15, L502x

March 3rd, 2014 11:00

Hello,

I have a similar problem. In the middle of using the computer last night, while it was plugged into the AC and NOT running on battery, the battery light started flashing (4 x orange, 1 x white) and it says "95% available, charging not plugged in". When I open the battery meter the "battery status" section says "battery charging disabled", and the "battery health" section says "your battery is on temporary failure state".

I tried unplugging and replugging the charger. Nada.

I thought it may have gotten too hot (though I hadn't been on long), so I closed it down and tried opening it a few hours later. Still flashing and I got a message stating there was a temporary failure and that I should close down the computer and try again when it's cool, press F1 to continue or press F2 to go to the (sorry forgot the name) menu.

Tried F2, made sure AC was recognized and charging and warnings enabled, hit F10 and saved. Annnndd then I got bumped back to same error screen. Hit F1, Windows loaded, and still not charging and light flashing.

Tried updating BIOS and flashing. Nada (though strangely no flashing lights while updating and flashing).

Tried updating Quickset. Nada

Tried running diagnostics and trouble shooting. Nope, nothing seems wrong.

Tried turning off battery charging through the battery meter and rebooting. Nada

Tried removing battery and cleaning contacts. Nada. The battery shows all 5 LEDs when I press the button on it though.

Tried removing the battery and booting computer only using AC, then turning off, then putting battery back in and turning back on. Nada

Tried taking battery out, unplugging AC, pressing down on power button for 20-30 seconds then putting battery back in and booting. Nada

I have no idea what it is. My computer is 3 years old, but I would have thought I would simply have less usage out of the battery then this happening so I am not sure replacing the battery would help. And the cost is a lot of $$ for me right now. I have no warranty left.

While I mainly use the computer as a desktop, I travel upon  occasion for work and need to use it as a true laptop too. 

Help please! Is there something I can do, or is it really time for a new battery. Can I be assured that if I buy a new battery it will work?

Thank you

1 Message

March 6th, 2014 01:00

I did as Sharash advise. And it's work.

Thanks Sharash..

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 17:00

I tried this but when the download starts it says, " the AC adapter and battery must be plugged in before the system BIOS can be flashed" although I already do have both plugged in. 

Please help 

1 Message

March 22nd, 2014 18:00

Hello - I am attempting to install the newest BIOS driver but I've received a notification that the battery must be at 10% for BIOS to flash.  But as the nature of my problem is that my battery can't charge, there's no way I can get my battery up to 10%.  Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

1 Message

May 25th, 2014 14:00

Dear Mr. Saharsh_Kapur

Thanks for you help. 

I know the post too old, no need to create new post, 

I have same issue, but i cannt install any bios driver.

cuz the battery charge less than 10 percent.

So I cann't try your suggestion! 

any solutions?  

June 12th, 2014 13:00

I looked at a dozen websites for solutions. They all seemed to say to uninstall the ACPI Compliance Control Method Battery File, but that didn't work for me no matter whether I did it with the power or battery on. I gave in and bought a new battery and experienced the same "plugged in, not charging" issue with the brand new battery. I then tried going to the same part of the computer--Control Panel--System & Security System -- System -- Device Manager -- Batteries, but this time uninstalled the Dell AC/DC charger. And when it reinstalled after it was plugged back in, it worked! I now remember that when I unplugged the computer the portion of the cord connecting the charger box to the outlet separated from the portion of the cord connecting the charger box to the computer, and believe that is what triggered the software issue. I hope this works for others (preferably before buying a new battery).

1 Message

June 16th, 2014 17:00

Saharsh, thank you so much--this post is from 2012 but I stumbled on it today and it fixed the problem of "plugged in, not charging" immediately upon reboot!  I downloaded the BIOS update and when I rebooted my battery icon was back (the icon had recently disappeared), it indicated that it was"plugged in, charging," and it charged--good as new.  Thanks again.

3 Posts

June 26th, 2014 21:00

Nope. Updating the BIOS worked temporarily and then back to the same old problem--the battery is not charging. Any other brilliant suggestions?

1 Message

July 14th, 2014 09:00

Your DC jack most likely needs replacing, costs about $69 if you visit a repair shop.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2014 12:00

Nice idea. But that did not work in my case. Or, to be more precise, it worked for a little while, but then the battery stopped charging again. My conclusion: it must be the hardware! But which part? It's not the charger and it's not the battery. We checked both.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2014 12:00

Thank you. But what kind of "repair shop" do you suggest? I have found that generic computer repair shops will not repair hardware that is proprietary. And where can I purchase such a jack--is it unique to Dell, or can you buy a generic jack and stick it into a Dell?

July 15th, 2014 10:00

This fix worked like a charm!!! I was not as thorough as you, simply detached AC cord from laptop, cleaned its pin end, the laptop port and the battery connectors. When I put battery back in and powered on it started charging immediately and was fully charged in about an hour. The cloth I used was lint free, the type used in cleaning eyeglasses. I intend to do the BIOS update but could not try that first for battery level was too low(4%). I have read multiple solutions and tried everything even called a Dell tech. I bought a new battery at first thinking this was the problem. I was told I had to buy a new AC adapter but I could not accept that solution due to the fact the indicator light on the adapter was receiving power. This seems to be a common issue and if this fix worked so well the Dell techs should be suggesting this to customers that call in. Actually, there seems to be many disgruntled customers with this issue. Dell really should offer a recall as do car companies when there exists a common flaw. Good luck to the rest of you.
No Events found!