Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Battery plugged in, not charging?

Well, the charger is plugged in, but it says not charging. This has happened twice. I would have thought bad battery or bad charger, except luckily the first time it occured right after buying a new hard drive. I did a hard reset on the battery and that worked.

Now, it has happened again. I tried the regular battery reset, but that did not work. I tried uninstalling device and reinstall..did not work either.

Oddly, what did work was the following:

I had about 38% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from both laptop and wall outlet.

I removed the batter. Computer went dead.

I wiped the battery connectors with a clean cloth several times.

I put the batter back in and turned the laptop on with battery only.

I plugged power cord into side of laptop, then into wall outlet.

Immediately, the laptop began charging again! 

I am not sure why this worked. Maybe some techy out there may know. When I tried the battery reset, I turned the computer off before taking out the battery. Then took it out. Plugged in laptop with power cord and powered it. Then shut down and placed battery in. I turned back on..but nothing...

It may have to do with having the laptop already on when taking out the battery, or placing back the power cord, or could just be the wiping the battery with cloth????

1 Message

September 20th, 2015 13:00

thanks this was very useful, in future please share more problems and resolutions you have achieved.         this helped me fix my laptop 

October 7th, 2015 19:00

This worked for me as well. My dell laptop (which is less then 6 months old) was only registering that it was plugged in for a brief second, then the plug icon went away. First I tried another dell power cord and it did the same thing. So then I found this post, did what this poster suggested and now it's working fine again. I was super mad for a minute thinking I needed a new laptop already.

1 Message

December 6th, 2015 20:00

Thank you so much for the bios update idea. I tried taking the battery out and back in and doing the uninstall of the battery drivers and restarting, but nothing was working.

I had to use "auto detect" for the site to find my machine, then I was offered the updates.  I didn't even have to restart my computer!  It suggested six updates, and after the first update was complete (bios) the battery started saying, "plugged in and charging again."

1 Message

December 22nd, 2015 14:00

Thanks Pamela  -- had the same issue on my Inspiron 5520.  Tried a "lite version" of your approach:

1. I had about 33% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from the laptop only
  2. Powered down
  3. Removed the battery
  4. Replaced the battery
  5. Powered up.
  6. Replaced the power cord -- battery began charging

Thanks for the "Inspiron-ation".   :emotion-2:

December 23rd, 2015 16:00

Cleaning contact method works

1 Message

February 17th, 2016 06:00

I literally cannot thank you enough right now. I was freaking out because I have online classes to do and that need to be done today and my hp notebook laptop was not charging. Thank you so much you're a god

1 Message

March 26th, 2016 00:00

Hi Saharsh,

Hoping u be in high spirits and busy dealing issues of the dell users My problem is that some time back my dell laptop gave message plugged in not charging then few days back I ran the BIOS update and the complaint was gone now since last night it is again showing same message. This time one additional issue is that even the power cable is plugged in but the icon dims out showing unplugged power cable and then again displays the plugged in sign in few secs. When I remove and reinsert the power cable it says charging for 3-5 secs then again plugged in no charging Plz help me with this I also ran the dell diagnostic for battery and it passed the test. i'll be obliged.

Thanks God bless 

March 26th, 2016 15:00

I don't work for Dell at all, but I have had the same problem on a regular basis. What I do when it happens is disconnect the cable from the laptop, and while it's still on, remove the battery. So that is shuts down when the battery pops out. Then I wipe off the contacts, put the battery back in, plug the cable back in, then turn the laptop back on. It has worked for me every time. I hope it will help you as well. :)

1 Message

May 1st, 2016 11:00

Thank you for the tip.  However it must be noted that the BIOS update will fail unless the battery has at least 10% power/charge.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2016 09:00

I've just done the BIOS update and have the same problem. 14% (plugged in, not charging)

Service Tag is: 5TJ5ZP1, 

and the update was file: 3750A14

15 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 02:00

But the sales page Tech Specs and the User's Guide will list the default aspect ratio and the supported resolutions.192.168.l.l

1 Message

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

Try disabling and enabling the battery driver.That worked for me

Device Manager --> Batteries --> Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 07:00

Does the BIOS recognize the adapter, or does it show unknown?  F2 at powerup to check.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 07:00

No, it didn't change anything.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 15:00

I had this problem last year. I finally returned the battery, and purchased a different third party battery. All work well. I believe it is the battery. It does not communicate with the computer as it should.

No Events found!