Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Battery plugged in, not charging?

Well, the charger is plugged in, but it says not charging. This has happened twice. I would have thought bad battery or bad charger, except luckily the first time it occured right after buying a new hard drive. I did a hard reset on the battery and that worked.

Now, it has happened again. I tried the regular battery reset, but that did not work. I tried uninstalling device and reinstall..did not work either.

Oddly, what did work was the following:

I had about 38% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from both laptop and wall outlet.

I removed the batter. Computer went dead.

I wiped the battery connectors with a clean cloth several times.

I put the batter back in and turned the laptop on with battery only.

I plugged power cord into side of laptop, then into wall outlet.

Immediately, the laptop began charging again! 

I am not sure why this worked. Maybe some techy out there may know. When I tried the battery reset, I turned the computer off before taking out the battery. Then took it out. Plugged in laptop with power cord and powered it. Then shut down and placed battery in. I turned back on..but nothing...

It may have to do with having the laptop already on when taking out the battery, or placing back the power cord, or could just be the wiping the battery with cloth????

1 Message

July 5th, 2016 13:00

Thank you so much, such a simple solution. 

My laptop was plugged into a surge protector and I plugged it into the wall direct and the problem was gone.  been a couple weeks now, no problems, hope it last.

18 Posts

July 6th, 2016 17:00

where can we buy a charge board?

Can you show us a diagram or part # please

1 Message

July 17th, 2016 19:00

This worked for my Dell Vostro 1400. Thank you!

5.2K Posts

July 18th, 2016 09:00

Both of these solutions have worked for other's. I think it has to do with the charging circuity in the battery. The laptop has nothing to do with charging except for directing current to the battery through the DC socket and reading the power level from the battery for display.

1 Message

August 29th, 2016 00:00

my laptop model is inspiron3542, 15 series and, I m having the same problem of battery. it is sometimes charged and sometimes not charged and shows not detected the battery.

2 Posts

September 7th, 2016 01:00

My laptop has been having a pop up messaging saying like ac adapter isn't recognizable or something like that, or battery not recognized, and its been happening for a few days but it was still charging. But today when I came home my laptop was plugged in but completely dead and now won't turn on or charge. But my laptop charger cord had a green light on it, so I'm not sure why its not working

10 Posts

September 13th, 2016 13:00

I have been having this problem since purchased over 5 years ago and there is NO PERMANENT fix. However, simply unplug the adapter cord from your PC and reinsert. This fixes the problem every time for me. It is definitely related to how Windows is brought down (Sleep or Signout) and updates being done while off.So, just unplug adapter at PC and reinsert.

1 Message

October 5th, 2016 11:00

Thanks. This helped me too.

No Events found!