Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2013 21:00

Beep

Hi, today when I started up my Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop It beeped pretty long and loudly once. It has occured before but not during startup. 

807 Posts

July 29th, 2013 11:00

At this moment in time the system runs normally with no unexpected shutdowns or BSOD's (at least you haven't mentioned otherwise). The hardware and memory diagnostics are all clear.

The 2 beep error disappeared when you re-seated the RAM. But you're left with this single beep and click.

The beep could indicate faulty / failing hardware but on the other hand the system could run for another 10 years. I'd certainly consider backing up my personal / important data just in case though.

I'd open the system and re-seat HDD.  While the system is open I'd take the opportunity to give the CPU fan and heatsink a good clean. I'd also replace the CMOS battery.

I'm not going to suggest fitting new RAM or new HDD, or even a new mainboard as this could prove unnecessary and a waste of money. Without definite error codes and unstable behaviour it's too soon to call.

The only thing you can do at the moment is monitor the system. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 26th, 2013 21:00

Hi NN14,

Single beep on Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop indicates ‘BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure’. I would suggest you to suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if the beep reoccurs.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if the beep reoccurs.

In addition, I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

July 28th, 2013 20:00

Alright so I did all the stuff you said and the single beep at startup went away. A day later, about 10 minutes after my startup, I heard 2 beeps and a click when I was away from my computer. So what could this mean?

807 Posts

July 28th, 2013 21:00

2 beeps would indicate memory error. Reseat the memory modules and carry out extended memory test. Boot to F12 and choose diagnostics. Report any error codes

7 Posts

July 29th, 2013 08:00

Alright, thanks for all the help so far guys! The extended memory test at boot came up with 0 error codes and all tests were passed. The test finished at 5AM so I turned my computer on at 6AM, and around 9AM when my computer was on standby on the login screen I heard 1 beep and 1 click, so please reply to let me know what could be the issue, I have already updated my BIOS and done the steps given above for my battery being taken out for 15 seconds.

Thanks and please reply soon!

Running Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 with Intel HD 3000 graphics card.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi NN14,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

807 Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

1 Beep for the N5110 is BIOS Checksum error (as before). Replace mainboard.

However, I've been reading some other posts regarding single beep and click and some are saying replace fan and others advise updating HDD firmware.

There are 2 firmware updates on the support site regarding Seagate Momentus HDD. If one of these is your drive then suggest updating.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-n5110

All report that the system runs normally except for this odd beep / click noise.

Is the system still under warranty?

7 Posts

July 29th, 2013 10:00

Okay, so what do you recommend doing?  I already ran the diagnostics test at boot. And unfortunately my warranty expired on January 22, 2013.

7 Posts

I just took the dell diagnostics test by PC Doctor and I got no errors and passed every test, including the checksum test, hopefully this means that there is nothing to worry about?

Here are the results:

www.dell.com/.../HRLZBR107292013123153

7 Posts

Okay thats good news! Thank you so much and I will try to do all you have said,

Thanks again!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

Hi NN14,

The hardware on your system is fine as the hardware diagnostics have passed. Please let me know if you face any other concerns.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2013 10:00

Alright so all the hardware is working fine but it still sends that one beep code everyday atleast once, so I guess I should just ignore it then?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 23:00

Hi NN14,

So far we are not able to determine the issue with your system with the single beep at the boot up. I would  suggest you clean the keyboard using the can of compressed air and check for the issue.

No Events found!