Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2015 16:00

Best way to clone hdd to samsung evo 850 ssd

I would like to clone my current HDD to SSD samsung. The problem is that the OEM partition(100mb) is not cloned with the Samsung tool. What is the best way to keep this partition? What tool do I need to use? If i do a fresh windows 7 install with the Dell Dvd, will it recreate this OEM hidden partition? Thanks for your advice.

1.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2015 16:00

I have used easeus http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ succesfully keeping the OEM and recovery partitions intact.

I've used it to squeeze a 750GB HDD that had alot of free space onto a 250GB SDD while preserving the OEM partition with the diagnostics.

I leveraged a USB to Sata adapter and it was really, easy. 

it should go without saying but ... BACKUP ANY DATA YOU CARE ABOUT FIRST ...

13 Posts

March 25th, 2015 06:00

It worked like a charm! Thanks ! Important thig was to plug the new disk on the eSata USB port. The disk was not recognized n other USB port!

I then reinstalled a clean Windows and repartionned the disk. My new disk was smaller than original one and I prefered reformating and readjusting the partition nicely!

Believe it or not the toughest part of the disk change was undoing the screws on the disk caddy. This was a proper nightmare.and I stripped 2 screws :(.

5 Posts

April 16th, 2015 03:00

recently, i plan to upgrade my present hdd to SSD to get fast speed. then i search on google and visit some forums and i find a free disk cloning software. it allows me to clone my present hdd to ssd without any error.in addition, this software can clone hard disk from a larger one to a smaller one. as for me, this is a fantastic function. hope my share can give next guys more choice.

http://www.backup-utility.com/disk-clone-software.html

2 Posts

March 10th, 2016 11:00

I have same situation. 750hd to a 250 ssd. Did you have to shrink the partition on the 750hd before cloning?

Thanks

1.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 18:00

I did not have to shrink the partition on the 750 before cloning.

One of the times I used easeus it was to clone about 150GB of data on a 750GB partition, and EaseUS sorted out the partitioning for me.

Another time i had about 400GB on a 1TB partition and also did not shrink the partition before. 

2 Posts

March 11th, 2016 03:00

I did it last night no problems. Except the sizes it made.

Started with a 750gb with 3 partitions. 102mb  (oem) 19gb (recovery) and 679 gb (os). Only 110gb of data.

Went to 250gb ssd and it made the 3 partitions but at 4gb, 60gb, and 168gb. 110 on the 168gb part leaves me with only 58gb.

Why did it do this?

No Events found!