Bios Time is Frozen; Bios time is STUCK!

Hello all!

I'm new here! I have a strange problem!

As I go to the bios menu using F2 key on my laptop (n5110), I see that the time is stuck on aa.aa.aa and doesn't change. it doesn't matter if I shut down and restart the laptop; the time is stuck on aa.aa.aa.

Whenever I login to the windows (win 7 ultimate 64bit), it starts with aa.aa.aa and the time goes on automatically in windows till I shut down the laptop. Then again when I start my laptop, both bios and windows time are aa.aa.aa.

When I update the time in windows by internet or change the time manually in windows time, both windows and bios time are updated to bb.bb.bb. in such a situation, then again the time on windows will be OK till I restart the laptop. while restarting, I see that bios time is set to bb.bb.bb and the windows again starts with bb.bb.bb .

As the bios version is the latest one and I cant re-flash the bios firmware, I'm really confused what can I do to solve this problem. I cant find any useful answer in forums on the net.

I should clarify that:

- I think that changing the bios battery couldn't work!

- The laptop is almost always plugged-in.

Do you have any Idea?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Bios Time is Frozen; Bios time is STUCK!

Hi ahmad,

Thanks for posting.

The CMOS battery does not get charged by the computer being plugged in, and only lasts about 5 years, so it's a good possibliity that since this computer is as old as it is, needs a new one.  Try changing the battery, they're very inexpensive and can be purchased at the dollar stores.  

Here's a video: http://dell.to/2xB6Ctl

and the manual: http://dell.to/2xAR3St

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your answer.

I don't know if I have described the problem clearly or not!

But I really don't think that a broken bios battery can create such a "freeze" in bios time! it didn't count at all! Even if the laptop was turned ON.

0 Kudos

Dear all,

The problem is solved semi-automatically!

I don’t know how it had been started and I’m not sure how it has ended.

I was trying to re-flash the bios. The previously installed bios firmware is the latest version and as it’s not permitted to re-flash using the “same version firmware” in the installed windows, I was trying to boot the laptop using Hirons CD and run the bios firmware setup file (copied to a flash disk) using the boot tools (I had decided to use a bootable bios updater if no other solution worked). After some failed tries for the installation using different boot methods (using Hirons CD) and also an incomplete run of “dell system diagnosis” (in boot menu, by pressing F12), I suddenly found the problem solved and the timer started to count in bios menu!

I hope it works for you too!

I hope I never face such a problem again; because it seems that there’s not a clear solution for that! At least I haven’t found anyone yet!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Even if you've gotten it to work, the battery is the likely culprit for this issue.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos