Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 9th, 2017 08:00

Bios Update pushed through Windows Update?

I have an Inspiron 17 7779 which just received a Bios update using Windows Update.  I caught it before it tried to install but did not see a way to stop it.

I have always felt Bios updates should be a user selection and not a required install.  Is that option no longer going to be a user preference?

As far as I can tell, the update was not part of a Dell Updater or some other Dell utility.. but I could be wrong.. 

25 Posts

March 9th, 2017 17:00

I can confirm this happens through Windows Update--two day ago when WU ran on my machine, I was surprised to see that it included a bios update as well.  I have uninstalled all the Dell Update stuff and other cruft--this was done by Windows Update alone.  I do not think this is a wise idea either--if a user ends up with a borked bios, I would suggest that is probably more of a hassle than a borked Windows install.  Furthermore, the bios update my machine received was only classified as recommended, not as critical or anything else.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 9th, 2017 18:00

I had a Bios update on another, different system which showed as Urgent.  Maybe I caught it before it was able to come through the Windows update.  What surprised me about it was it took about 20 minutes to install...

I  would really like to have some confidence the Bios updates or non-Windows updates from Dell, will not arrive in that manner in the future.  The updates Microsoft puts out cause enough pandemonium...

Thanks for the response..

No Events found!