Highlighted
Samffy
1 Nickel

Bios boot very slow on Inspiron 1564

Hi,

I've recently update my laptop (Inspiron 1564) with a SSD. I replace the original hard drive (500Go) in my laptop, and re-use it in a caddy, in order to replace CD/DVD recorder.

But now, the bios boot is very slow. I try to change boot options, my SSD is in first and i disabled CD/DVD boot (with Shift + 1).

Have you an idea ?

Regards,

Samffy

Inspiron 1564
Core i5 + 2Go RAM 

0 Kudos
24 Replies

Re: Bios boot very slow on Inspiron 1564

Hi Samffy,

Please update the BIOS in the system, use the link below.

http://dell.to/RTvbZX

After updating the BIOS and still the BIOS boot is very slow, please remove the HDD from the caddy and test the system only with the SSD

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Samffy
1 Nickel

Hi DELL-Senthil S,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I forget to tell you that my Inspiron already have A13 BIOS.

I try to boot only with the SSD, and there is not problem. It's seems that the secondary SATA in caddy make the boot slower.

Thanks a lot for trying help me to resolve my problem.

Regard,

Samffy

0 Kudos
Samffy
1 Nickel

Hi,

Is it possible to display BIOS loading detail to know exactly what's the problem ?

Regards,

Samffy

0 Kudos

Hi Samffy,

On Dell systems unfortunately it is not possible to view the BIOS loading page.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Samffy
1 Nickel

Ok, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have Linux Ubuntu installed on my laptop. So there is 2 drives with ext4 partitions.

Is it possible that the BIOS check this partitions longer than NTFS or FAT32 ? And so, is there a method to cancel this test (in BIOS or on Ubuntu with a special parameter in fstab) ?

Regards,

Samffy

0 Kudos
Aeny
1 Nickel

Hi,

The BIOS booting takes so long because the BIOS has to detect the HDD's and needs to spin them up and then go through an apparantly very long check. beware that a VERY long check can mean your HDD is going out and is difficult to detect. Nothing Dell can't fix!

While they're at it they might aswell fix the disk not being detected at all and hanging the BIOS on 1564's with the AMD HD5450 GPU. I assume you have one with an Intel IGP, correct?

And a wrong VBIOS string in the HD5450's orom02.bin, fix that aswell.

And...

Long story short, I think you'll have to live with your long BIOS times, sorry.

I don't think Dell is going to put time (read: money) in a laptop they don't sell anymore.

Just be happy it works and you're not stuck with a non working one like some of us.

~Aeny

0 Kudos
Samffy
1 Nickel

Hi Aeny,

Thanks a lot for your answer. After some research, there seems that i have to live with that long boot problem. Doesn't matter, but i'm a little disappointed about my Dell system.

I have the one with ATI 5450, and i admit i didn't understand the part of your answer about video card.

Regards,

Sammfy

0 Kudos
Aeny
1 Nickel

Hi Samffy,

I am running the exact same setup as you are, SDD in the primary slot and the Original HDD in the caddy. But my BIOS freezes with this setup instead of just being slow. That means that there's probably a difference between our 2 systems causing mine to crash and yours to work. Could you please be so kind to look up the part number of your motherboard? I assume this is the difference. Sadly I don't know any way to look this up with software. Perhaps it is the caddy, could you let me know what brand of caddy you are running in there?

Sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread.

~Aeny

0 Kudos
Samffy
1 Nickel

Hi Aeny,

Here is my caddy : www.rueducommerce.fr/.../showdetl.cfm

The lshw command return some info of my motherboard, i hope this is what you need (ask me if you want other informations) :

Product : 0JY92C

Manufacturer : Dell Inc.

BIOS version : A13

I also configure the BIOS to boot on USB first, then HDD in second, and  disable all others boot methods (Shift + 1).

I hope you can resolve your problem.

Regards,

Samffy

0 Kudos