Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 9th, 2012 11:00

Bios boot very slow on Inspiron 1564

Hi,

I've recently update my laptop (Inspiron 1564) with a SSD. I replace the original hard drive (500Go) in my laptop, and re-use it in a caddy, in order to replace CD/DVD recorder.

But now, the bios boot is very slow. I try to change boot options, my SSD is in first and i disabled CD/DVD boot (with Shift + 1).

Have you an idea ?

Regards,

Samffy

Inspiron 1564
Core i5 + 2Go RAM 

12 Posts

March 27th, 2015 10:00

How can I safely backup the bios?

18 Posts

March 27th, 2015 13:00

Hi madvinegar,

I compiled a package for you to safely backup your bios if you are running a 64bit build of windows which I assume you are doing since you have 8gb of ram.
1. download the package here: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../WinPhlash64B.zip
2. extract package
3. start Winphlash64.exe (make sure to run it as administrator)
4. You will be present with a welcome screen, press continue
5. now you are in the main part of the application. The layout is a little messy
6. !!! Make sure Backup BIOS only is selected !!!
7. You can leave the 'specify backup file for existing BIOS' alone.
8. The application won't work without 'specify new BOIS file', even when just making a backup. so click browse and select BIOS.WPH
9. There are buttons in the bottom right, they may be cut off a little but you need to hit the left button (buttons say Backup BIOS, Exit, Help)
10. a popup wil be shown asking you to wait 10 seconds, it will go away on it's own. Now you have a file named FLASHABL.bak in the WinPhlash64B folder, that's the backup.
11. Put the backup on dropbox/other place and give me the link to the file.

I would appreciate it very much if you could get me a copy of A04. If your second laptop is running a different version then I am interested in that too.

Regards,
Aeny

9 Posts

March 27th, 2015 17:00

Wooow, a reply more than 2 years later ;o)

Thank to both of you for your works. For your information, this is my configuration :

• A13 BIOS version
  • HDD Western Digital 500Gb with 8Mb of cache (WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0)
  • SSD Samsung 830 Series 128Go

As you see, i have a 8Mb of cache HDD, but boot is always very slow with Ubuntu 14.04 64bits. Sometime, i have to stop my computer to try a new boot.

But when boot is finish, all is ok.

Regards,

Samffy

12 Posts

March 28th, 2015 01:00

I will do that on Monday and let you know. The laptops are in my office.

Both of them run the Ao4 Bios.

12 Posts

March 28th, 2015 01:00

Hi!
I see your HDD is SATA 3 though!

The two HDDs that I have installed and work fine are SATA 1 and SATA 2.

Maybe there is something to do with that as well. i.e. you may need an HDD with 8mb of cache and up to Sata 2.

Plus I have the A04 BIOS... Maybe that plays a role as well...?

Also, do you have the HDD or the SSD in the caddy?

And, is your laptop the 1564 with the intel gpu or the AMD gpu?

Finally, I have the original win7 home addition installed (the ones that came with the laptop).
You say that you have ubuntu installed. It is difficult to compare, as from what I read, if you install ubuntu you can even make the laptop boot with 16mb cache HDDs (but you get a delay during boot).

In any case, thanx for the info. I will amend my original post accordingly.

9 Posts

March 28th, 2015 07:00

You're right. Here is my updated configuration :

• Inspiron 1564 with Intel Core I5 M430 and AMD Radeon HD5450
  • A13 BIOS version
  • Linux Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bits
  • Original HDD location : HDD Western Digital 500Gb with 8Mb of cache SATA3 (WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0)
  • Caddy : SSD Samsung 830 Series 128Go SATA3

I tried to switch HDD from caddy to case, unfortunatly without result.
I hope it can help.

For my part, i got used of the slow boot ;o)

Regards,

Samffy

12 Posts

March 28th, 2015 12:00

I have the i3 1564 with 5450 AMD gpu and upgraded the ram to 8gb.

The SSD is in the original place (where the HDD was placed) and the HDD is in the caddy.

OS: Win7 home addition. (But I also boot ubuntu 14.04 out of an external usb HDD and it works great :P )

It boots very fast without any delay or freeze-up in the BIOS DELL screen.

12 Posts

March 30th, 2015 00:00

18 Posts

March 30th, 2015 09:00

Thank you very much! Another one to add to my collection. I still hope to one day fix what Dell is too lazy to fix. This bug and the quad core bug. But as it is looking now I'll have a new laptop before that's going to happen. Not a Dell again, even if besides the things listed here it has worked perfectly.

Regards,
Aeny

No Events found!