Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

Bios corrupted - no UEFI boot or saving changes

Iam using DELL Inspiron 5551 , with Ubuntu operation systym, after i upgraded Ubuntu to 17.10 , it caused many problems with my laptop

and before I talk about the problems i would like to tell that this bug attacked many laptops,as inspiron 3531- Acer - Toshiba - Hp - lenovo and more you can found on this like more

At me 1- NO UEFI boot and can't boot from usb Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 17.04, 17.10, or Microsoft 8.1 all failed, also no hiren's boot can run from cd or usb only can run Ubuntu from CD on legacy choose

2- Can't change settings to others or reset to default - it always back to it's options after saving and restart, just it can save user password but no any others

3- I got HDD1 - Ubuntu drive instead the BIOS options, even after formated the Hard driver , installed windows 8.1 or any more, it still ther HDD1-Ubuntu instead UEFI options

4- Battery time life went down 4 or 3 hours from 6 even after changed OS

5- The kernel change or upgrade that fixed Lenovo and some others didn't work with DELL as they said also 3531 not fixed , and there isn't Bios recover option Esc+Ctrl for 5551

I tried more and more with out any new results also changed bios on windows 8.1 to old then flashed it from usb by the last one to accept change but still the same, and installed many drivers on win 8.1 but the same

So i want to ask if there is any way to fix that or it's hardware problem

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

Ubuntu 17.10 problems with UEFI on some models of Lenovo laptops.

You may have found another model.

You should be reading the Ubuntu forums.

17 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

Not just with Lenovo , read at 'Affected Machines:' there you will find DELL and others

and i said here that changing Kernel haven't fixed DELL 3531 as they posted at 'Affected Machines:' and the same with DELL 5551 as i commented there

you need to read all the post here or on ubuntu

17 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

I went there 2 days ago and on askubuntu.com about one week ago, but no fix for DELL with kernel software, so i asked also here, cause if no fix i will send it to warranty

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Not just with Lenovo , read at 'Affected Machines:' there you will find DELL and others

and i said here that changing Kernel haven't fixed DELL 3531 as they posted at 'Affected Machines:' and the same with DELL 5551 as i commented there

you need to read all the post here or on ubuntu

I have no idea what you just wrote.

This is an Ubuntu issue. Go there.

17 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 14:00

My laptop comes with Ubuntu OS 14.04, and the problem now with hardware Bios, so sure warranty still valid

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 14:00

Is your warranty still valid since you upgraded to 17.10 ?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 15:00

You may want to check that.

With Windows PCs, the warranty is only valid for the OS that was originally installed.

17 Posts

January 4th, 2018 10:00

The same it just upgrade , and now I am using 14.04 with the same problem

also the problem fixed with Lenovo laptops, if ubuntu was the reason it must be fix DELL laptops also

And even who are using 14.04 and updated his kernel with their security update the same will happen , because the kernel was the problem with lenovo not the version of Ubuntu

Also I was able not to talk about Ubuntu , and said that i have Bios hardware problem, but I told to take care and warning other users from using the kernel or the version of Ubuntu, and to help to find way to fix it with them , not to say to me go to them, if software can change hardware data sheet , or firmware it's your security error

17 Posts

I am already posted at 3 of their sites, but the problem still there no fix, and after i told you that other dell there with no fix , they edited it and removed not fixed !!!!!!

any way it was the same OS Ubuntu , and the problems happened after upgrade or update, i must update my OS , and it made the hardware bug , if no fix so may be not it the reason

and no recover copy for Ubuntu on Dell site to recover it when it failed , it's other problem.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

No. Ubuntu 14.04 is not the same OS as Ubuntu 17.10

And as I wrote before, and I will write again, Ubuntu 17.10 corrupted the UEFI on some Lenovos. This may very well have happened to you with your laptop.

17 Posts

January 4th, 2018 11:00

So I am here to know what can help, and to ask you to help them to fix it

thank you any way

17 Posts

Okay , Thank you again

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Research if it is possible to re-program the UEFI chip.

Again, talk to Dell.

This is not Dell technical support, even though Dell people occasionally post here.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Once the UEFI is corrupted, going back to 14.04 is not going to help.

Talk to Dell support. No one is stopping you.

The problem is still not fixed with the Lenovo PCs.

No Events found!