Highlighted
Vusa
1 Copper

Bios locked, showing unlock key hint on XPS L502X

Jump to solution

I recently had a problem where my computer refuses my bios password. It now gives a box for the password and an "Unlock hint key" - some hex number. I tried calling Dell support and am told I need to buy a new motherboard? Is there a way to recover from this without being ripped off again?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
9 Rhodium

Re: Bios locked, showing unlock key hint on XPS L502X

Jump to solution

Upon verification of ownership, Dell will issue a master password for the system.  Since it's new enough to be under warranty, there's no charge.  The only issue will be if you're not the registered owner of the system - in which case, Dell is correct;  the mainboard needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Send a private message to one of the moderators here - they will assist.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Upon verification of ownership, Dell will issue a master password for the system.  Since it's new enough to be under warranty, there's no charge.  The only issue will be if you're not the registered owner of the system - in which case, Dell is correct;  the mainboard needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
Vusa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That sounds logical but Dell South Africa says they don't have any such thing. I have all the paperwork for the laptop because I only got it 2 months ago. Spoke to a guy called Sutanu and the manager Matban Kurmar but got no help. The manager insisted there's no other way and he said there's no other number I could get Dell on to resolve this - he was the ultimate, I was shocked. He gave me a quote for about US$450 (R3000) for the motherboard. To make matters worse, I was told this will not be covered by warantee. I was so disappointed as this is the first Dell machine I've bought after years of HP and was a bit pricey for me.

Does anyone know if there's a number I can call outside my region? I don't even know if they have a physical presence in South Africa.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

Send a private message to one of the moderators here - they will assist.

0 Kudos
Vusa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you ejn63 for the pointers.

0 Kudos
francesquini
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I´m having exactly the same problem. How did you solve it?

0 Kudos
Vusa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dell eventually came and replaced my motherboard for free. It's their fault, they need to have an unlocking feature somehow. And in my case I'm 100% certain I hadn't forgotten my password.

0 Kudos
francesquini
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Vusa, thanks for the reponse!

Dell staff should be better trained, most of the people there with whom I have spoken so far don't even know what a bios is... :-(

0 Kudos
kdub310
1 Copper

Jump to solution

hello i have adell xps l702 bios password what can i do besides buying a new motherboard

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and would like you can give me the password to unlock my computer is a xps L502x

0 Kudos