Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2011 03:00

Bios locked, showing unlock key hint on XPS L502X

I recently had a problem where my computer refuses my bios password. It now gives a box for the password and an "Unlock hint key" - some hex number. I tried calling Dell support and am told I need to buy a new motherboard? Is there a way to recover from this without being ripped off again?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2011 04:00

Upon verification of ownership, Dell will issue a master password for the system.  Since it's new enough to be under warranty, there's no charge.  The only issue will be if you're not the registered owner of the system - in which case, Dell is correct;  the mainboard needs to be replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2011 07:00

Send a private message to one of the moderators here - they will assist.

4 Posts

That sounds logical but Dell South Africa says they don't have any such thing. I have all the paperwork for the laptop because I only got it 2 months ago. Spoke to a guy called Sutanu and the manager Matban Kurmar but got no help. The manager insisted there's no other way and he said there's no other number I could get Dell on to resolve this - he was the ultimate, I was shocked. He gave me a quote for about US$450 (R3000) for the motherboard. To make matters worse, I was told this will not be covered by warantee. I was so disappointed as this is the first Dell machine I've bought after years of HP and was a bit pricey for me.

Does anyone know if there's a number I can call outside my region? I don't even know if they have a physical presence in South Africa.

4 Posts

Thank you ejn63 for the pointers.

February 22nd, 2012 11:00

I´m having exactly the same problem. How did you solve it?

February 23rd, 2012 06:00

Vusa, thanks for the reponse!

Dell staff should be better trained, most of the people there with whom I have spoken so far don't even know what a bios is... :-(

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 06:00

Dell eventually came and replaced my motherboard for free. It's their fault, they need to have an unlocking feature somehow. And in my case I'm 100% certain I hadn't forgotten my password.

1 Message

October 29th, 2012 19:00

hello i have adell xps l702 bios password what can i do besides buying a new motherboard

January 21st, 2013 06:00

I have the same problem and would like you can give me the password to unlock my computer is a xps L502x

January 21st, 2013 09:00

In my case, not even Dell could provide me with an unlock key. Finally, after two weeks of complaints they changed my motherboard for free. It's their fault, they should have a way to unlock it.

January 21st, 2013 11:00

I passed the test that tests the components and tells me that I have a problem with the hard drive, so I want to change the hard drive but the bios message prevents me from making that change, one I can unlock password request

11 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 09:00

Hey, I too have the same problem, But i want to know was your XPS covered under warranty when your laptops motherboard was replaced without any charges

No Events found!