abublitz05
1 Copper

Black Screen - BSOD - TDR Error

Recently I started playing an MMO called Archeage and with it has come this troubling problem with the TDR Error BSODs. If anyone is familiar with this game, I played the Russia version and the closed Beta without this issue, the problems only started after the live launch update. Also their tech support sucks lol so I am posting here hoping that maybe someone can help me out :/

At first it only happened while playing this game, but now I am able to reproduce it while playing other games I never had an issue with before.

I am not seeing any video lag or flickering before this happens - all of a sudden my screen with go black, the sound cuts out, the lighting on the keyboard is still on, then after about 15-30 seconds the computer resets itself. After loading back up I get an "windows has shut down unexpectedly error". Using a program called WhoCrashed points to a Video TDR Error and nvlddmkm.sys being the issue. (Mini dump farther down the post)

I've searched the internet many many times for a solution to this and I had honestly thought I had found one awhile ago, my computer had ran fine for weeks... until the other day the problem started again.

Things I've done to remedy this via various internet posts:

Reinstalled Windows - Not sure one would call what i did an "clean" install as I partitioned the hard drive to back up some data as I did not have access to an external hard drive at the time.

Use drivesweeper to completely remove my video drivers and reinstall them. I've tried several different video drivers, the last one I tried which you will see in the mini dump posted below is the one most people have seemed to call the "most stable" vid driver. So before someone goes "zomg update your vid drivers!" I have.. I've installed the latest and had no success. I've also manually installed the driver and excluded installing the 3D/Sound portions.

Adjust the TDR registry settings to allow for a longer delay.

Underclock my GPU using Nvidia Inspector (This is what fixed my issue all those weeks ago. It no longer seems to work)

Opened and cleaned my laptop

Repasted my GPU/CPU

Installed all windows updates

Manually override my fan speeds

I recently did a restore point to earlier this month when I was not having issues.

I've lowered the ingame settings to the lowest possible settings and tried playing in DX9 instead of DX11

I monitor the temps and from what I am seeing it is not shutting down due to high temps (unless my temp sensors are off?) Idling it generally runs around 40-50C. While gaming it is around 60-70C. Even intense gaming on ultra settings it never goes above 85C

None of the diagnostic tests I am running are giving me anything put passing results Smiley Sad

I was wondering if perhaps my GPU was not getting enough power running games and doing the audio... I tried to disable the Nvidia High Deffinition Audio (which there are 4?) and using my Logitech headset that is plugged into my laptop via a USB port. Didn't really seem to help much. 

PC Specs:

Alienware M17xr4

Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M

Sound Blaster Recon3Di

16GB RAM

Hitachi 500GB x2 (Raid)

My laptop is always sitting on a cooler mat. It is plugged into my Vizio TV via HDMI port and I have a replacement power supply from amazon because my original dell one stopped working.

This is the most recent BSOD report (remember I did say I was trying an older vid driver on this attempt) but pretty much all of my reports look like this. Exact same error... the only thing that changes is the date/time and the Driver Version.

Mini Dump file:

On Sat 10/25/2014 8:59:37 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102514-25911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x9336AC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800DC51010, 0xFFFFF88009F826AC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.21
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.21
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.21 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Any help... much appreciated <3

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
AnarchoGamer99
1 Copper

RE: Black Screen - BSOD - TDR Error

Same problem here. I also have an Alienware m17xR4 with a gtx675m. I will try to install win8.1 tomorrow, see if it helps.

0 Kudos