Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2013 05:00

Black Screen after Sleep

New XPS 12. Windows 8 64-bit.

SSD only, Intel HD Graphics only.

My screen remains black after coming out of about an hour's sleep, even though the power, fan and keyboard's backlight is on. I have to force shutdown and switch it back on to use it again. It has happened twice, and hasn't successfully come out of a long sleep yet. I got the laptop yesterday, and I haven't made any significant changes to the setup.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thank you,

Mark

3.3K Posts

July 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi Mark,

I sincerely apologize for the technical troubles you have experienced with your New Dell computer.

Reset BIOS to default. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo.Now tap F9 to “Setup defaults”.

If the issue persists, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer as soon as you see the DELL logo, tap until you see the one-time boot menu. Now select Diagnostics.

Let me know the status.

7 Posts

July 31st, 2013 06:00

Unfortunately neither tapping (nor holding) F2 nor F12, when the Dell logo appears after restarting, brought up any special menu for me.

Regards,

Mark

7 Posts

July 31st, 2013 19:00

I finally managed to get into the F2 menu by rapidly tapping F2 about half a dozen times from immediately before the Dell logo appeared. I reset the BIOS to default. I also did a Diagnostics check and it found nothing.

Before resetting the BIOS, I updated Windows fully, and then installed the latest Intel HD Graphics driver and also the chipset driver from the Dell support site, using my service tag. Just before typing this I set my laptop to sleep and left it for over an hour, and it came back on fine - no problem.

I will post on here, if I have the problem again.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I found this seemingly related Microsoft Support article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2850674

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 06:00

It just happened again. What should I do?

3.3K Posts

August 4th, 2013 05:00

Hi Mark,

Try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists.

http://dell.to/11GMxkY

Let me know the status.

2 Posts

August 10th, 2013 11:00

I have the exact same problem. It seem only to occure in situations where the machine is in sleep mode for a longer time. There seems to be no problem if I wake up the machine up immediatly after a few seconds or a minute. I'm using the new XPS 12 with  the 4th generation Core i7 so the machine is brand new.

7 Posts

August 13th, 2013 13:00

I can't get it to stop. I've searched the internet and tried everything suggested. Please let me know if you find a solution. I'm away from home for a few weeks, but if it's not fixed by the time I get back, I'm left with no choice but to send it back to Dell for fixing/replacing. A huge inconvenience. A huge disappointment.

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 21:00

I have the same exact problem with my brand new i7 processor NVIDIA graphics. I have spent too much money on the laptop to not get a solution for this problem. I'm going to return it tomorrow for a full refund.  

September 12th, 2014 05:00

Same problem here. I was on holiday after receiving laptop and now is out of return period. Can't even create a recovery disk!!! Spent too much time and none the wiser.

As for getting into Bios screen, hold and keep on holding F2 then power on. Found it hard way :emotion-12:

2 Posts

September 19th, 2014 20:00

I'm having the same issue. Here's how it goes: When my laptop is left to sleep for quite some time, and I press the power button, the power indicator and keyboard keys will light on. Then the power indicator light will switch off but the screen is still blank and the key lights are still on. Then I have to force shut down and start again, with all my progress on work gone.

I don't want to replace my laptop as I have many things inside already and I find it troublesome to have to reset everything. Also, I get pissed off when I forget to save all my projects and put it sleep, then I wake up the next day losing everything. I know this is an old post but please do something about this issue. 

September 20th, 2014 04:00

if you don't game, then it's better to completely uninstall and disable the AMD graphics.  

2 Posts

September 21st, 2014 09:00

sadly, I game -.-

1 Message

October 16th, 2014 23:00

I have the same problem on my brand new Dell Insperion 7437 notebook. Can someone please advise on a solution? Should I send it in for repairs?

2 Posts

April 7th, 2017 15:00

Congratulations! You just posted a comment to a more than three year old thread. In the meantime I got a refund for my XPS 12 because of issues with the screen, replaced it with a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro that I handed over to my parents a year ago because I'm using a Surface Book right now. So that was a blast from the past receiving the email to the reply on this thread. On a serious note: Have a watch on the dates before replying to a thread.

1 Message

April 7th, 2017 15:00

I had the same problem my last Dell. After sending it if for service 7 times over 12 months and no resolution I requested a new Dell or refund. I received a new Dell. I have purposefully not placed it in sleep mode as in the past this seemed to trigger the issue. I've had it for 4 months with no issue, until today when I placed it in sleep for approx 3 hours and it occurred again.

Perhaps a path: Laptop was connected to another display - while laptop screen was dark, the second display was live and allowed me to restart the laptop. Fixed it although acknowledge that this is likely to recur continuously.

No Events found!