MarkOkki
1 Nickel

Black Screen after Sleep

New XPS 12. Windows 8 64-bit.

SSD only, Intel HD Graphics only.

My screen remains black after coming out of about an hour's sleep, even though the power, fan and keyboard's backlight is on. I have to force shutdown and switch it back on to use it again. It has happened twice, and hasn't successfully come out of a long sleep yet. I got the laptop yesterday, and I haven't made any significant changes to the setup.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thank you,

Mark

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Dell-Rajesh R
5 Tungsten

Re: Black Screen after Hibernation

Hi Mark,

I sincerely apologize for the technical troubles you have experienced with your New Dell computer.

Reset BIOS to default. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo.Now tap F9 to “Setup defaults”.

If the issue persists, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer as soon as you see the DELL logo, tap <F12> until you see the one-time boot menu. Now select Diagnostics.

Let me know the status.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
MarkOkki
1 Nickel

Re: Black Screen after Sleep

Unfortunately neither tapping (nor holding) F2 nor F12, when the Dell logo appears after restarting, brought up any special menu for me.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkOkki
1 Nickel

I finally managed to get into the F2 menu by rapidly tapping F2 about half a dozen times from immediately before the Dell logo appeared. I reset the BIOS to default. I also did a Diagnostics check and it found nothing.

Before resetting the BIOS, I updated Windows fully, and then installed the latest Intel HD Graphics driver and also the chipset driver from the Dell support site, using my service tag. Just before typing this I set my laptop to sleep and left it for over an hour, and it came back on fine - no problem.

I will post on here, if I have the problem again.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I found this seemingly related Microsoft Support article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2850674

0 Kudos
MarkOkki
1 Nickel

It just happened again. What should I do?

0 Kudos
Dell-Rajesh R
5 Tungsten

Hi Mark,

Try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists.

http://dell.to/11GMxkY

Let me know the status.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
RedSign
1 Copper

I have the exact same problem. It seem only to occure in situations where the machine is in sleep mode for a longer time. There seems to be no problem if I wake up the machine up immediatly after a few seconds or a minute. I'm using the new XPS 12 with  the 4th generation Core i7 so the machine is brand new.

0 Kudos
MarkOkki
1 Nickel

I can't get it to stop. I've searched the internet and tried everything suggested. Please let me know if you find a solution. I'm away from home for a few weeks, but if it's not fixed by the time I get back, I'm left with no choice but to send it back to Dell for fixing/replacing. A huge inconvenience. A huge disappointment.

0 Kudos
kalid_mo
1 Copper

RE: Black Screen after Sleep

I have the same exact problem with my brand new i7 processor NVIDIA graphics. I have spent too much money on the laptop to not get a solution for this problem. I'm going to return it tomorrow for a full refund.  

0 Kudos
bibeksahi1973
1 Nickel

RE: Black Screen after Sleep

Same problem here. I was on holiday after receiving laptop and now is out of return period. Can't even create a recovery disk!!! Spent too much time and none the wiser.

As for getting into Bios screen, hold and keep on holding F2 then power on. Found it hard way 

0 Kudos