Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 22nd, 2013 23:00

Black Screen on Studio 1555

Hello

I have an issue with my Studio 1555 laptop. Whenever I switch it on, the power light is on, fan and HD start whirring, but the screen stays black.

I searched around the forum for details and have tried the built in LCD test by pressing D before powering the laptop. When I do this, I get 5 different colors displayed on the screen. This seems to suggest that the LCD is working fine.

I connected to an external screen and tried switching on the laptop. There are 5 colored noise-grain bars, random patterns and letters that I can see on the external screen but my laptop screen is black. Also the external monitor has a blue screen and some process seems to going on in the background. I think it is the startup diagnostics test but am not sure.

When I start the laptop with   pressed ,  I get a tune followed by 3 long beeps 'pause' 2 long beeps 'pause'  1 long beep.

The same problem happened almost a month back but at that time after switching on/off a couple of times the laptop was able to boot. Even this time the laptop did boot up once and while the startup diagnostics was going on, it blacked out again and has been the same since then.

Although it might be a case of Video card failure, but the fact that this has happened once before and external screen shows some process with blue screen in the background and also random letters and patterns, I am not sure.

Kindly suggest what else can be done to narrow down the problem.

Thanks! 

• 

3.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 00:00

Hi  Manud,

Thank you for the update. I request you to once again listen to the beep codes and reply. There is no 3 2 1 beep code pattern. Refer to the link below to know more about Beep code and PSA error codes.

However I recommend you to reseat the memory and run the diagnostics. Reply with the status.

Please find the link below for the service manual:

http://bit.ly/UzISBD

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 01:00

By resetting, do you mean remove and re install the memory modules? Can you give me a link to some post explaining how to do it.

Also when i start the laptop with pressed, there is nothing for the first minute or so after which there is a melody repeated 3 times followed by 3 beeps, with short pause between them, then a longer pause, then 2 beeps with shorter pause, followed by a longer pause and then 1 beep.  

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 03:00

I reseated the memory but the problem still persists. Please help me.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Manud,

I suspect it is a motherboard issue. Please click on the link below to check the warranty of the system. In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

http://dell.to/12Bz4Il

In case the system is out of warranty, let me know the region you belong to, to provide the contact information to get the system serviced for a charge.

No Events found!