Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2017 18:00

Black Screen on XPS 13 9350 with Intel HD Iris 540 Graphics Card

Hello everybody,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 with an Intel HD Iros 540 graphics card.

Every worked nicely until an automatic update turned my screen black. After reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch, I discovered that with the generic graphics driver provided by Windows the screen works, but any specific driver for my card turns the screen black. I tried, with no success, in this order:

• All the versions of the graphics driver found on the Dell website

• 20.19.15.4531, A07, 29 Dec 2016
    • 20.19.15.4483, A06 07, Sep 2016
    • 20.19.15.4454, A05 29, Jun 2016
    • 20.19.15.4390, A04 14, Apr 2016
  • The latest driver found in the Intel website (15.45.16.4627)

None of these works. As soon as any of these drivers are installed, the screen turns black. Upon reboot, the screen stays black in the login screen.

The only fix I found so far is to remove the driver completely, and use the default graphics driver of Windows. I also had to disable automatic driver updates, otherwise the screen would turn black again upon reinstallation of the driver.

What are my options? Is there any diagnostic information I can provide that can help me troubleshoot the problem? I am a Linux user and I know very little about Windows.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

April 12th, 2017 06:00

Hi ilpincy,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please install the BIOS, Chipset and then the graphics card drivers (in this sequence) from the Dell Support site.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

1 Message

April 15th, 2017 18:00

I'm encountering the same problem, and have tried reinstalling all those things with no success. Do you have a recommendation for what to do next?

5 Posts

April 18th, 2017 10:00

I've seen other postings describing the same problem.  I've tried several different graphics drivers found on the Dell site but each one causes the internal monitor to go blank.  External monitors work ok.  If I roll back to the generic Windows graphics driver from 2006, my laptop LCD works find but external monitors quit working.  

4 Posts

April 19th, 2017 11:00

Hello Akshatha,

I updated the BIOS and all of the chipset drivers, and then installed the latest available version of the Graphics driver. Indeed this solved the problem.

Thank you for your support!

Cheers,

Carlo

April 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi,

What is the version of the graphics card driver installed?

Was the installation done in the above sequence?

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

April 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi ilpincy,

Glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2017 06:00

Has just happened as well to my Dell XPS 13 9350 overnight.

Can confirm reinstalling bios, chipset and video driver in that order does not resolve issue.

All drivers and bios were lthe latest versions before issue.

As soon as video driver installed, you will lose the screen again.

If anyone from Dell is reading this, it is a Dell driver issue.

Leaves one with only one of two options.

With the iris 540 driver installed you can use still an attached external monitor but defeats the purpose of having a notebook.

If you uninstall the Dell iris 540 driver and use the default windows driver you do gain your notebook screen back but then loose the ability for multiple monitors etc.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 09:00

I'm OP in this thread. The problem I encountered came back while I was using the laptop. No visible update occurred (I disabled every automatic update procedure).

Reinstalling drivers in the order that fixed it earlier did not help. The only solution has been to use the Basic Windows driver, as many others have said.

May 10th, 2017 21:00

Hi there,

This has just happened to my machine too.  And I make my living giving presentations using it with PowerPoint in presenter mode, where I depend on having both screens.

Dell - help!  Can we get a resolution to this quickly please!

2 Posts

May 10th, 2017 23:00

Hi,

I had the same issue and after uninstalling the latest graphic card driver and installing the version 15.45.16.4627, my system seems to be stable now.

I've also updated my BIOS and the chipset drivers to the latest.

Cheers

3 Posts

May 21st, 2017 18:00

Has anyone else had issues or been able to resolve the issue with drivers? I have installed the latest version of the chipset, bios, and then installed the latest graphics driver after a full roll back of the graphics drivers, to just be using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

basically boots to a black screen.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2017 22:00

I have been using the Basic Display Adapter and gave up on solving the issue. I can't hide that I'm very disappointed at Dell for the way they handled my past issues and their current inability to provide working drivers for one of their most popular laptops. I won't buy another Dell computer in the future, but for the time being I'm stuck with this one.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 18:00

I have been messaged by the dell staff Akshatha but every suggestion he has provided has black'd my screen. The only way i am operational at the moment is roll back(multiple reboots, then to safe mode, then driver disable, then uninstall and delete drivers) is the basic display adapter. This works fine for the moment, as i do not need a second screen, but it better be fixed soon. It is driving me insane.

The main issue i have is that with out the intel graphics drivers, the windows power settings will not function. IE close screen and the laptop only has two options. shutdown or stay on. Not ideal. No sleep mode.

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 21:00

Mine has been working since the end of April.  I performed a clean install of Windows (using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool), updated the BIOS, Chipset, and Video drivers from Dell as suggested, and is working fine with two external displays plus the laptop display.  

I don't remember for certain but I seem to recall that when Windows finally did the automatic update and the graphic driver loaded, I believe my screen went blank like before but I shut it down then after powering up, everything was working.  Only difference I can think of was that I had updated the bios, chipset, and video from Dell.  I also did not load any applications until it was working ok with the updated graphics drivers.

Can't tell you for sure what exactly happened but for me, a clean install, loading the drivers, and a number of reboots and power cycles, and something clicked.

3 Posts

June 28th, 2017 00:00

My laptop is not under warranty, so dell out of warranty support was of little help. In any event, all the diags passed, and the only driver that would work was the basic display adapter. This all happened after a Microsoft driver update.  I tried installing windows 7  and had the same results with any of the intel 520 drivers provided by either dell (I tried all versions and none worked. and all the published drivers including betas from intels site)  I did a factory reset with the dell recovery image and reinstalled windows 10 home 1511, updated the bios to the latest 1.4.17, all the chipset drivers, and then tried installing 15.45.16.4627 and low and behold, this laptop kicks major *** now. I closed and opened the laptop display repeatedly (slowly) and the laptop display woke and this driver worked.   I did the same with the other drivers to no avail. All the other users who had this problem who were under warranty just got a motherboard replaced, but I knew this was not hardware related. Many thanks to you suhg for getting my laptop working again! 

communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa

No Events found!