Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2017 18:00

Black Screen on XPS 13 9350 with Intel HD Iris 540 Graphics Card

Hello everybody,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 with an Intel HD Iros 540 graphics card.

Every worked nicely until an automatic update turned my screen black. After reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch, I discovered that with the generic graphics driver provided by Windows the screen works, but any specific driver for my card turns the screen black. I tried, with no success, in this order:

• All the versions of the graphics driver found on the Dell website

• 20.19.15.4531, A07, 29 Dec 2016
    • 20.19.15.4483, A06 07, Sep 2016
    • 20.19.15.4454, A05 29, Jun 2016
    • 20.19.15.4390, A04 14, Apr 2016
  • The latest driver found in the Intel website (15.45.16.4627)

None of these works. As soon as any of these drivers are installed, the screen turns black. Upon reboot, the screen stays black in the login screen.

The only fix I found so far is to remove the driver completely, and use the default graphics driver of Windows. I also had to disable automatic driver updates, otherwise the screen would turn black again upon reinstallation of the driver.

What are my options? Is there any diagnostic information I can provide that can help me troubleshoot the problem? I am a Linux user and I know very little about Windows.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 03:00

I have had the laptop display working for the past month, after a complete re-install, of bios, windows drivers. then suddenly, the laptop screen stopped working on restart. It came back twice, but then again, it black screened me.The only way i can work on this laptop at the moment, is to either have the driver firmware on, and then use an external screen, or turn off the driver and use the windows basic one.

weird thing is that it failed when it was on power for a long time and the screen turned off. It is like the power settings of the graphics driver are causing the screen to blank!

Getting a quote on a new motherboard tomorrow, as previous dell tech rep suggested this.

I have this feeling that will not fix it.  super disappointed in dell at how they are not working to resolve an issue that is not just one person.

July 4th, 2017 17:00

When I try to install 15.45.16.4627 or anything newer from the Intel website, I get an error "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer..."  The newest driver on the Dell website is still 20.19.15.4531...

I am having the same problem.  It just appeared out of now where today... XPS13 9350.  I can see BIOS screen on boot up but must use a secondary monitor to see anything in Windows.  Very frustrated...

2 Posts

July 5th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for verifying this. For anyone else who get this problem back, try taking off the battery connector for few minutes and putting it back in.

My problem resurfaced today and no matter what I did by uninstalling/ installing driver didn't work. Finally tried the battery and it started to work again.

Cheers

July 6th, 2017 03:00

I've spent the last day reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times and also disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.  Built-in display still stays dark and remains not detected by Intel HD 540 Graphics driver (4531, 4627, etc...).  External display via Dell USB-C DA200 adapter works just fine.  Built in video diagnostics (F12)  didn't generate any errors.  The video diagnostics available on the Dell product support website all passed.

My only recourse right now is to use the basic display driver so the laptop is not leashed to an external display.

The dark screen kicked in while the laptop was actually being used and had been on for over half hour.

The laptop is barely a year and half old.  Dell - please fix this!

July 10th, 2017 00:00

I have the same problem on a recently bought XPS 9350.  After BIOS update it will boot to a black screen. All hardware tests pass and I can boot just fine in safe mode. I really like this computer but right now it's a brick.

How can I update the video driver without using an external monitor?

I really don't want to wipe out my windows install since that would force me to also re-install all the third-party software I have spent hours installing on the computer.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2017 12:00

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has a fix by now. I updated my BIOS, Chipset but I still get a black screen after updating the graphic driver. Now, even if I get rid of the driver, it keeps installing itself back even with the driver auto-update off.

I can boot on safe mode which probably means it is indeed a driver issue and when I delete the graphic card driver from my computer and turn the computer back on normally, the screen goes black right after I enter my password ... I have tried the driver both from the Dell website and Intel website but nothing works...

August 3rd, 2017 03:00

Nzhao,

I got the black screen a few weeks ago when my XPS13 9350 Signature Edition auto updated all of the above. I spoke with Dell Tech Support and they basically told me that I had to reinstall Windows 10 and they would send me a CD for $75. Umm...no thanks. After exploring BIOS for an hour, I was able to reboot to the repair page and reinstall Windows 10. Luckily, my laptop was able to save all my files (which I now backup through Microsoft OneDrive) but it deleted all my programs. Since basically rebuilding my laptop, the only update I have installed is BIOS.

Dell Support Assist keeps recommending me to install the Intel HD Graphics Driver (released July 6, 2017), Realtek PCI-E Memory Card Reader Driver (released July 22, 2017), and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console (released Dec 22, 2016, updated April 25, 2017). I am so paranoid to install these drivers because I'm afraid I will experience the black screen of death after the Dell logo (during startup).

3 Posts

August 13th, 2017 14:00

Ok I may have been a little premature to say that sughs suggestion to use the intel 15.45.16.4627 version was the fix. 

August 13th, 2017 20:00

Yes  this is very frustrating. Paid to upgrade to W10 Pro from home version to see if helped. It did not.

I also believe this happened with a middle of night, sneaky Windows 10 creator edition update, and next day, black screen. Dell has replaced 2 motherboards (first was DOA), to fix corrupted BIOS problem, that this cascading failure lead to. I have upgraded BIOS, and chipset, and no combination of video drivers from dell or intel works, despite even trying DDU, a Display Driver Uninstaller from a GPU website to clean uninstall the bad driver each time.

I tried recovery or resetting windows with keeping programs and settings and files, that didn't work.

I tried resetting windows to only keep files, and it went black as soon as updating  computer, windows update must have loaded bad MS driver, you know SP4, Microsoft Surface Pro 4 has same IRIS 540 graphics and lots of problems also, so MS makes their own driver and forces it upon you as well thru windows update, if you don't block driver updates, which is highly recommended, but hard to do for me, when doing reset and it just does it at 1st startup, so that failed, and after about 10 nervous reboots of various error messages, it reverted back to the old os, creator edition windows 10 pro w no display adapter / generic default ms one. and here we are. 50-100 hours later

1 Message

September 5th, 2017 15:00

Just got a mainboard replacement from DELL after a "not even DELL logo black screen" problem (hardware problem, not even BIOS accessible).
Now I'm stuck with black screen after DELL logo. Installed BIOS, newest chipset drivers, tried newest Intel driver 4771 (as zip), newest DELL driver (4664), old DELL driver (4531), but couldn't get anything to work. Not even the DA200 to VGA is working for me.

Are there any updates on this issue?

September 7th, 2017 13:00

Like XLHH, me too. so frustrated.

1 Message

November 8th, 2017 07:00

I have the same problem of above users mention, tried to contact Dell supports couple of time in Hong Kong but they can never give a solution of it , or asking me to do a replacement of the motherboard would cost me more than a 1200 usd , unfortunately, they are running out of stock as well.

May I know has anyone finally had a solution to solve the black screen problems on their pc?

Thx alot

KM from hong kong

5 Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

As discussed on another forum, this problem was fixed for me by removing the battery and power, holding the power button down for a few minutes, and then reinstalling the battery. Worked great for about a week, but now it's happening again. This definitely points to a hardware issue of some sort (someone theorized a static buildup that needs to be discharged). I'm out of warranty, so I'm not sure if a motherboard replacement is worth it. Total bummer.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2017 03:00

i have the exactly same issue with you. brought it to the Dell repair center and they told me to reinstall the windows. don't want that and now I just have to say with the windows default graphics stinks. wish there is a good solution soon.

No Events found!