suhg
2 Bronze

RE: Black Screen on XPS 13 9350 with Intel HD Iris 540 Graphics Card

Hi,

I had the same issue and after uninstalling the latest graphic card driver and installing the version 15.45.16.4627, my system seems to be stable now.

I've also updated my BIOS and the chipset drivers to the latest.

Cheers

haydenkerr
2 Bronze

Has anyone else had issues or been able to resolve the issue with drivers? I have installed the latest version of the chipset, bios, and then installed the latest graphics driver after a full roll back of the graphics drivers, to just be using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

basically boots to a black screen.

0 Kudos
ilpincy
2 Bronze

I have been using the Basic Display Adapter and gave up on solving the issue. I can't hide that I'm very disappointed at Dell for the way they handled my past issues and their current inability to provide working drivers for one of their most popular laptops. I won't buy another Dell computer in the future, but for the time being I'm stuck with this one.

haydenkerr
2 Bronze

I have been messaged by the dell staff Akshatha but every suggestion he has provided has black'd my screen. The only way i am operational at the moment is roll back(multiple reboots, then to safe mode, then driver disable, then uninstall and delete drivers) is the basic display adapter. This works fine for the moment, as i do not need a second screen, but it better be fixed soon. It is driving me insane.

The main issue i have is that with out the intel graphics drivers, the windows power settings will not function. IE close screen and the laptop only has two options. shutdown or stay on. Not ideal. No sleep mode.

0 Kudos
RandyEC
2 Bronze

Mine has been working since the end of April.  I performed a clean install of Windows (using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool), updated the BIOS, Chipset, and Video drivers from Dell as suggested, and is working fine with two external displays plus the laptop display.  

I don't remember for certain but I seem to recall that when Windows finally did the automatic update and the graphic driver loaded, I believe my screen went blank like before but I shut it down then after powering up, everything was working.  Only difference I can think of was that I had updated the bios, chipset, and video from Dell.  I also did not load any applications until it was working ok with the updated graphics drivers.

Can't tell you for sure what exactly happened but for me, a clean install, loading the drivers, and a number of reboots and power cycles, and something clicked.

0 Kudos
jl6878
2 Bronze

My laptop is not under warranty, so dell out of warranty support was of little help. In any event, all the diags passed, and the only driver that would work was the basic display adapter. This all happened after a Microsoft driver update.  I tried installing windows 7  and had the same results with any of the intel 520 drivers provided by either dell (I tried all versions and none worked. and all the published drivers including betas from intels site)  I did a factory reset with the dell recovery image and reinstalled windows 10 home 1511, updated the bios to the latest 1.4.17, all the chipset drivers, and then tried installing 15.45.16.4627 and low and behold, this laptop kicks major *** now. I closed and opened the laptop display repeatedly (slowly) and the laptop display woke and this driver worked.   I did the same with the other drivers to no avail. All the other users who had this problem who were under warranty just got a motherboard replaced, but I knew this was not hardware related. Many thanks to you suhg for getting my laptop working again! 

communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa

0 Kudos
haydenkerr
2 Bronze

I have had the laptop display working for the past month, after a complete re-install, of bios, windows drivers. then suddenly, the laptop screen stopped working on restart. It came back twice, but then again, it black screened me.The only way i can work on this laptop at the moment, is to either have the driver firmware on, and then use an external screen, or turn off the driver and use the windows basic one.

weird thing is that it failed when it was on power for a long time and the screen turned off. It is like the power settings of the graphics driver are causing the screen to blank!

Getting a quote on a new motherboard tomorrow, as previous dell tech rep suggested this.

I have this feeling that will not fix it.  super disappointed in dell at how they are not working to resolve an issue that is not just one person.

0 Kudos
dvd.dell.laptop
2 Bronze

When I try to install 15.45.16.4627 or anything newer from the Intel website, I get an error "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer..."  The newest driver on the Dell website is still 20.19.15.4531...

I am having the same problem.  It just appeared out of now where today... XPS13 9350.  I can see BIOS screen on boot up but must use a secondary monitor to see anything in Windows.  Very frustrated...

0 Kudos
suhg
2 Bronze

Thanks for verifying this. For anyone else who get this problem back, try taking off the battery connector for few minutes and putting it back in.

My problem resurfaced today and no matter what I did by uninstalling/ installing driver didn't work. Finally tried the battery and it started to work again.

Cheers

0 Kudos
dvd.dell.laptop
2 Bronze

I've spent the last day reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times and also disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.  Built-in display still stays dark and remains not detected by Intel HD 540 Graphics driver (4531, 4627, etc...).  External display via Dell USB-C DA200 adapter works just fine.  Built in video diagnostics (F12)  didn't generate any errors.  The video diagnostics available on the Dell product support website all passed.

My only recourse right now is to use the basic display driver so the laptop is not leashed to an external display.

The dark screen kicked in while the laptop was actually being used and had been on for over half hour.

The laptop is barely a year and half old.  Dell - please fix this!

0 Kudos