Highlighted
STR112
1 Copper

Black screen (Dell Inspiron)

I have a Inspiron 1501 (with Linux Mint 17) I used as secondary computer the last 4 years through college, whenever I was watching TV or movie or editing on my iMac I would use it. It ran great up until today, when I turn it on the screen is just black. The computer turns on - the round power light is on, the light above the keyboard flash twice, and it sounds like the fan is running and the bottom is slightly warm. I have used 2 AC adapters (mine and one from a friend who knows theirs works) and nothing (the light that signals power from the AC adapter is also on).

The only thing I've done to it is to replace the battery 2 years ago. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

RE: Black screen (Dell Inspiron)

I'd suggest you run Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics tool to check the hardware on computer. Please follow steps below:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, flash drive, external drive, etc....).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive and run Thorough Test mode. Report back any error code. Please click on link below:

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube