Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2013 07:00

Black screen after closing and opening lid

I have recently purchased an XPS15 and lately have had the problem of the screen staying black after I close the lid and re-open it. Its setting is to got sleep after the lid is closed but the white light indicator on the front doesnt blink like its asleep anymore. I have changed all power setting back to default in an effort to fix the problem but It has not resolved the issue. If I close the lid momentarily then reopen the screen stays black and I have to hold the power button down for 5 second for a hard reboot.

Any ideas?

• 

3.3K Posts

March 25th, 2013 02:00

Hi Danmoxi,

I suggest you to flash BIOS and update the video drivers.

Please click on this link, enter the service tag and click ‘Submit’. In the next page select the ‘Operating System’ from the dropdown lost and then click ‘BIOS’ and download the latest BIOS version.

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Note: While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.

Next go to the same link and click ‘Video’ and download the Video drivers. Restart the system and check. In case you find difficulty in finding the Video drivers, reply with the exact system model (e.g. L521X) and the operating system to provide the appropriate driver links.

Reply with the status to assist you further.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2013 20:00

Hi, I have done all of the above. Upgraded the BIOS and both intel and nvidia drivers and the problem is still there.

After a little more playing around it seems as though the problem lies in when the laptop tries to goto sleep. Whether I configure it to goto sleep via closing the lid, or pressing the power button, both produce the same outcome which is a black screen that doesnt come back on. The fans are quite audible when the black screen occurs. setting the screen to do nothing when the lid is closed allows it to come back though after I have picked up the screen.

Therefor it has to be a sleep function problem. Help!

• 

3.3K Posts

March 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi Danmoxi,

I appreciate for updating the drivers. I recommend you to update the chipset driver from the same link given in the previous post. In case the system  model is L521X, the system has HM77 chipset. (Let me know if you have a different XPS 15).
In case the issue persists even after chipset drive update, I recommend you to run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.

In case the diagnostics passes, you may have to restore the system to the factory installed state. Back up all the data and follow the steps given in the link below for the same:

http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

Revert for further queries.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

see if u have intel rapid storage technology installed. if u do then open it and go to Performance and disable Link Power Management. this is the driver causing this problem. you can configure ur hard disk to turn off under windows power options.
hope it helps

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 02:00

Hey mate thanks for the reply, I actually had heaps more problems with the laptop including a technician going to town and scratching it. I have gotten a refund and purchased a macbook pro now. No problems in sight. Thank you very much though!

1 Message

April 27th, 2014 14:00

For anyone still with this problem, I was having this problem on a Dell M4800.  Both on battery and plugged in, I have the computer set to do nothing when the lid is closed, yet whenever I closed the lid and opened it, the screen was blank/black.  I originally had the computer set to do nothing when I hit the power button, so the only way I could resolve was to hold the power button down to power off completely. 

My next step was set the computer to sleep when I hit power and sleep when I closed the lid.  This did not solve the problem, but I was able to hit power to go to sleep upon the blank/black screen and then hit power again to wake up.

I went through and updated bios and various drivers from the Dell site (no improvement).

I went to nVidia site and updated to latest Quado ODE Graphics driver for K2100M (332.76-quadro-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql; released March 14, 2014) and problem is now resolved.

1 Message

October 5th, 2016 13:00

Just letting everyone know that I had the same issue on my dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop. After updating the Graphics Drivers and Flasing the BIOS the problem seems to have gone away.

No Events found!