Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2016 14:00

Black screen background and no access to start menu

Why do I suddenly have a black screen background with no way to start programs. I too upgraded to win 10. I've a relatively new inspiring laptop

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 16:00

How often does this happen? When it does happen what do you have to do to correct the problem, does turning the notebook off and then back on again help,  How long has this been going on, and do you remember if any changes was made to the notebook before the problems started?

As a test connect an external monitor to the notebook and see if the external monitor turns black as well? 

Please let me know if you are still having the problem and the circumstances that led up to it and I may be able to help further. When you reply please include the model of notebook. 

TB

June 6th, 2016 14:00

Thanks for reply. My Dell laptop is Inspiron 17 5000 series - quite new. 

I managed to resolve the problem by shutting down and holding power button for 15 secs - normal shut down and restart didn't initially sort the problem.

I had recently upgraded to Windows 10 - and dont recall doing anything unusual or changing any settngs that might account for this problem. I see from the Dell help page that there may be a problem with Win 10 on some laptops? I might have to download some update of firmware?? This is surprising, because I thought they did a diagnostics test for compatability before I downloaded Win 10. 

It hasn't happened again TG.

G

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 8th, 2016 17:00

If the problem only occurred once and powering down the notebook by holding down the power button resolved the issue I wouldn't worry about it.  If the problem continues jot down in your notes what the system was doing just prior to losing the display. How often the problem occurs and if at anytime powering down like before didn't help and shoot me a message and i may be able to help. 

TB

No Events found!