I have a problem with my VOSTRO 3360. At power on the hard drive LED flashes a couple of times and I can hear the disk head moving and then the fan speeds up and nothing else occur. The fan keeps running at high speed and the screen remains black all the time.
I have made following tests:
1. When I remove the RAM from the pc I can hear 2 diagnostic beeps.
2. If I keeps pressing the F2 key during and after pressing the power botton I hear after a second or so, short beeps, as when the keyboard buffer is full.
3. I have disconnected the main battery and removed the coin-cell battery. When the batteries are reconnected I hear 5 diagnostic beeps at the first power on. After cycling the power I hear no beeps and it starts as initially described.
Any good ideas are appreciated.Thanks.
In addition I have also teste:
4. with an external monitor connected to the VGA connector.Iit does not make any difference. This also remains black.
5. Try to boot from a dell recovery USB memory stick. Still the same. No startup except what's described.
2 beeps are memory errors and 5 beeps are CMOS battery related.
Please check if there is any damage on the machine. Check if all the ports on the machine are fine or misaligned. Sometimes if the pins in the USB ports are touching each other, they are known to cause many issues on the machine.
Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG
Also, initiate the onboard diagnostics - press and hold the fn key + power button to power on the system and check for any beep codes.
If the LCD test above passes, the motherboard is at fault.
If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ
Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.
Let us know if you have any other queries.