Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2014 13:00

Black screen

Hello, just a few minutes ago i was playing a game on my dell xps15 z when suddenly my screen became black.

I restartet the laptop but the screen was/is still black. It is not completly black like when the laptop is off, its a bit brighter.

I can still hear the the Windows sound when i enter my password, so i assume that my laptop is still working fine but the Display has some problems.

It would be nice if someone could give me some help or hints what might be wrong

Greetings smbeholl

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 14th, 2014 16:00

Hi smbeholl,

Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD Test”.

Switch off the computer > Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button > you will see different colors on the LCD screen. During the LCD test please check if the screen is black?

In addition connect a known good monitor and check if the issue persists

2 Posts

January 15th, 2014 00:00

Another monitor works fine. I also realized that the screen is not completly black, i can see the shades of windows but its really hard to do so.

The LCD test didnt work for me, no colours were displayed, but by the shades i can tell that i got into some kind of booting menu by dooing so. 

I read in some other forums that it might be the background light, the power inverter or even just the power inverter cable. Could that be the problem.

Tanks for the help

Smbeholl

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 15th, 2014 04:00

Your system uses an LED backlight and does not have an inverter -- you'll need to replace the screen.

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 21:00

I have a black screen problem with my Inspiron 1501, but it's more complicated.

When I disconnect the computer from the power adaptor, it runs fine on the battery alone. But when I put the adaptor line back in, the screen goes black. Never completely black -- with a flashlight I can see everything on the screen as it should be, all my folders on the desktop, etc.

So, is the problem with the power adaptor? The invertor? Or...?

I have attached the laptop to an external monitor and that works just fine, even with the laptop plugged in with the power adaptor.

Like I said, complicated!

No Events found!