Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

August 15th, 2006 13:00

Blank Screen

Laptop is powered on. I close the lid as I  do to do something else.  Then when I open it again the screen is blank and does not seem to have power.  This will happen even if it had been seconds since the screen had been open/shut.  I then try to bring it out of hibernation or standby but that does not seem to work.  I hit the power button to see if that will wake it up but that does not work.  So I try to shut it by doing a hard shut down, let it sit and then restart.  That works.  This process cannot be right.  I've put all my power options on never but it still does this.  Please help!

806 Posts

August 15th, 2006 14:00

you didn't say which model, but it sounds like a failing reed switch - it's the device that tells the system that the lid has been closed, therby cutting power to the display.

if you are under warranty i would call support - if not, a search of this forum will reveal lots of threads with info. in some cases (depending on model) a stuck reed switch can be fixed by running a magnet over the palm rest adjacent to the switch location (remove the hard drive first).

the type of switch and location varies from model to model. good luck.

August 15th, 2006 15:00

Thank you for the info.  I have a Latitude D610.  Hey, I just opened the cover and the screen was there.  I'll call support and check on the reed switch still. 

September 2nd, 2006 20:00

how do you do a hard shut down? I have a black screen, green power light, can't do anything when pushing the power button-no result whatsoever.
No Events found!