Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2013 06:00

Blank screen, where is my windowsOS? Hard drive F12 FAIL

Switched laptop on screen remained blank and the lock with number 9 lit. I did a f12 and it noted that the hard disk was undetectable. I removed the lock with the number 9 by pressing number lock. Just wondering if it has anything to do with me not waiting for the shutdown during my last successful use. Has my hard disk crashed; the laptop is on ? I also ran a f8 under safe mode and last previous successful access

30 Posts

June 26th, 2013 07:00

Lock and number 9 has reappeared ; its near the power on button. Does it have anything to do the screen being blank?

803 Posts

June 26th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Let's try few other troubleshooting steps:

1. Check in BIOS if the hard drive is detected. Load BIOS defaults. (Press F2 on Dell logo screen to enter BIOS setup)

2. Re-seat the hard drive to ensure the hard drive cable is properly secured.

3. Run hardware diagnostics and make a note of the complete error message/codes.

May I know the results of the hardware diagnostics? Were you able to successfully boot in Safe mode? The lock LEDs are diagnostic indicators and I will need the system model number to check what it means when 9 is lit.

30 Posts

June 26th, 2013 19:00

Diagnostics test failed to detect Hard drive, retryed many times still couldn't.

DS test failed as well (not sure what that is).

Safe-mode under Windows OS executed result blank screen (same problem).

Latitude D520

Bios version A06 5/28/2007

Boot sequence: internal hard drive (I moved that to number 1 recently)

I think it's got something to do with me not waiting for the shutdown and switching the laptop off from the power wall.

803 Posts

June 27th, 2013 02:00

Unexpected or force shutdown may not cause the hard drive to malfunction. DST - Drive Short Test failure indicates the hard drive need to be replaced. If the system is under warranty, send the service tag and name on the account through Private message so that I can set up a dispatch. In case the warranty has expired, please purchase a replacement hard drive from here: http://dell.to/18hIYU3

No Events found!