Highlighted
alokm
1 Copper

RE: Blinking cursor on booting Dell Latitude E5420

Jump to solution

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for the follow-up.... here's the latest...

I ran each RAM module in each slot through the diagnostic tests ..... and each time it froze on the same screen as before... i.e. 'running MATS test'...

THEN I ran the 'Repair my computer' option by pressing F8 (after a few hits and misses each time... since it does not reach that screen every time I boot) and ran the 'Windows memory diagnostic'.... For BOTH the modules it passed the 'BASIC' and 'STANDARD' tests without any event.... BUT it HANGS UP on the 'EXTENDED' tests (which I see includes MATS+ cache disactivated, WSCHCKR.... etc... which I am sure you know ALL about... but I have no idea)... at 21% of Stage1 (or 10% of the global) .... it does not give any error... just remains stuck at that stage.... for hours...

Is THAT normal...???

regards

Alok

P.S. Why am I getting a feeling that there is some problem with the power supply... and maybe there is some problem with the Power adapter.... the battery is showing 'moderate' health in the BIOS... and the Dell manager gives me a battery failing error everytime I manage to boot into windows... I DON'T KNOW... just a hunch....

0 Kudos
DELL-Sujatha K
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hi Alok,

Thank you for providing the diagnostics results in detail. The battery showing moderate health in BIOS and battery failing error in Windows shows that the battery is failing and needs replacement. If the system is within one year of purchase, send me a private message with the system service tag to replace the battery.

With regards to the system hanging during MATS test or custom test indicates that it could be motherboard or memory module issue. As already requested if the system is under warranty, I will check the options to get the system fixed. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Awaiting you response!

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
alokm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you Sujatha,

No the warranty has expired in May 2013, I will have to check out the options for extension and will have to check with my employer for extension (if possible) meanwhile I will try to put another RAM in order to see if the problem resolves by changing the memory module.

Thank you once more will let you know of the outcome of further testing

regards

Alok

0 Kudos
DELL-Sujatha K
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hi Alok,

Sure. Let me know if you need assistance in future.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
alokm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Sujatha,

Can you tell me how I could order a Bios battery for E5420 in Europe, France...? it does not show up in the Dell's online store? I would be grateful if you could guide me on this.

I tried with different memory modules on this computer and tried these memory modules on another computer and in both cases it seems to be working without any problem. One thing I want to test is the BIOS battery but since I cannot get any locally, I need to order it online. It seems odd but Dell does not seem to be supplying such common parts and being a soldered CR2032 cell it is not possible to replace it by just buying a normal one.

regards

Alok

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
julienV
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a very similar issue:

- computer stuck after bios splash, but 'sometimes' manages to go past that and boot into the system, where everything runs fine.

- diagnostics stuck at 'Running mats test'

- i had a warning about the battery being faulty for some time

So, did you manage to get it fixed, and how ?

0 Kudos
alokm
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Julien,

It's been quite some time since I fixed this one...

I did everything suggested to me by the 'experts'.... 😛 but nothing worked and .....

FINALLY...

I managed to make it work by turning off the multi-core support in the BIOS and choosing 1 instead of all cores....

DO let me know if this works for you too... by which we'll have ironed out a bug in the BIOS or a hardware problem...

cheers

Alok

0 Kudos
julienV
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Alok,

thanks for taking the time to answer !

I tried, and i think it might be a bit better, but not 100%... I'll test more and try to disable other perfomance features.

0 Kudos
brookie80
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi All

I am having the EXACT SAME problem you are explaining... but on a dell latitude e5510..... maybe 1 put of 10 times if I'm lucky i can get it to boot through to windows, if i can get into the f12 boot menu and run diagnostics i have a blue screen that reads running mats tests and it hangs there forever

Can you update me on if the multicore thing worked and if so does it have effect on the perfomace of the computer... or is there another solution you've found

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
julienV
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

for me i think it was a bit better when i selected '1 core' instead of all, but maybe it was a statistic anomaly... Anyway, in that case you only use 1 core instead of... more, so there is a performance hit 😉

i got back to all cores, and yes, it's still a pain in the ass everytime i have to restart, so i try to never let it power down.

if any dell expert could give an opinion, that would be nice.

but that looks like what is described here: www.techsupportforum.com/.../solved-bios-runs-slow-loads-fine-626719.html

0 Kudos