Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2013 09:00

Blinking cursor on booting Dell Latitude E5420

Dear all,

I am at loss here, I am booting a Dell Latitude E5420 running Windows 7 and after the POST it just shows a blinking cursor..... BUT WAIT... not ALL the time... it does manage to boot into the windows after I choose the HDD from F12 options or sometimes even when I keep on shutting down and starting up again and sometimes when I do a restore checkpoint in the repair options....

The Diagnostic tests are not working when I go through the F12 and just hangs up showing the message -

Examining ACPI interface

Running MATS test

I can't understand... if it was consistently NOT booting or showing a consistent error... but here the behavior is erratic (except for the MATS test failure....

Please help....

Thank you

Alok

4 Posts

November 21st, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I have a very similar issue:

- computer stuck after bios splash, but 'sometimes' manages to go past that and boot into the system, where everything runs fine.

- diagnostics stuck at 'Running mats test'

- i had a warning about the battery being faulty for some time

So, did you manage to get it fixed, and how ?

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 07:00

Hi Alok,

thanks for taking the time to answer !

I tried, and i think it might be a bit better, but not 100%... I'll test more and try to disable other perfomance features.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2014 13:00

Hi All

I am having the EXACT SAME problem you are explaining... but on a dell latitude e5510..... maybe 1 put of 10 times if I'm lucky i can get it to boot through to windows, if i can get into the f12 boot menu and run diagnostics i have a blue screen that reads running mats tests and it hangs there forever

Can you update me on if the multicore thing worked and if so does it have effect on the perfomace of the computer... or is there another solution you've found

thanks in advance

4 Posts

December 21st, 2014 15:00

Hi,

for me i think it was a bit better when i selected '1 core' instead of all, but maybe it was a statistic anomaly... Anyway, in that case you only use 1 core instead of... more, so there is a performance hit ;)

i got back to all cores, and yes, it's still a pain in the ass everytime i have to restart, so i try to never let it power down.

if any dell expert could give an opinion, that would be nice.

but that looks like what is described here: www.techsupportforum.com/.../solved-bios-runs-slow-loads-fine-626719.html

13 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hi Julien...

did you change the battery too...??

I did....
were you able to run the mats test on one core..??

for me through the ATC error did not go away on the online tests... but finally when I ran the Mats there was no ATC error... :P

regards

Alok

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 01:00

Hi Alok,

i didn't try to run the test on one core, but i think i did without the battery, with no luck.

next time i find myself having to restart, i will ! just can't do it right now as i am using it for work on a vacation location, and can't spare the restart trials and errors

1 Message

July 22nd, 2015 04:00

Hi all,

I have recently experienced the very same issue with the exact same model laptop. I tried all the suggested fixes and nothing worked. 

What i then did was , just after the laptop boots from the bios and its just showing me a blank screen , I turned off the wifi via the wifi switch , I then noticed HDD activity and then the Windows boot screen loaded up and it booted in to Windows. I have restarted the machine now multiple times to test this theory and it worked EVERY single time after I turned off the wifi via the wifi switch.

What i also did was turn off wifi via the switch and reboot the machine , and found that it rebooted ok with wifi switch off but it was then stuck on the Windows boot screen , I then turned on the wifi and seconds later it booted up ok. 

Not sure what the problem could be.

Darryn

No Events found!