Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 21st, 2013 09:00

Blu-ray playback on Inspiron 1750

I bought my laptop in 2010 and did not specify Blu-ray player.  I have just fitted a Sony Blu-ray writer and using Pinnacle Studio 15 I have created a home video Blu-ray disc which plays on my stand-alone Panasonic player.  However, although I can play various High Definition files I cannot play a Blu-ray disc on my laptop, and realising I needed Blu-ray player software/decoder I purchased Nero 12 Platinum which incorporates Nero Blu-ray Player.  However, this does not work and Nero are telling me that my video graphics does not meet their specification. 

According to my BIOS the graphics is provided by on-board Intel GM 45 chipset and the Nero spec says I need exactly that or above.  According to the Intel website, the GM 45 does indeed support Blu-ray playback, but it needs something called PAVP to be enabled to PAVP Lite.  It says that this should be done in the BIOS, but I do not have a setting for this in my BIOS.  Intel also says some manufacturers do not provide the option in BIOS and implement it by default, but I do not know if this is the case for my laptop. Is there any way I can check?

The other thing I have checked is the graphics driver. Using my Service Tag, Dell are saying that I have the latest video driver.   

Can anyone help me to get this working please?

807 Posts

July 21st, 2013 11:00

Have you checked everywhere in BIOS. The PAVP setting can usually be found under Advanced Chipset Settings. I don't imagine Dell would supply a modded BIOS dependent on Blu-Ray option...but then again.

If the PAVP setting is hidden then usually it is set to Lite by default.

Have you flashed the BIOS since owning the laptop? It's possible the PAVP setting was present in the BIOS version that was shipped with your system.

What BIOS version are you running?

BIOS versions available are

A01 (initial release)

A04

A05

A06 (Latest release)

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1750

If you want to downgrade your BIOS then do so at your own risk. Dell do not recommend downgrading as it may damage the mainboard. They do provide a tutorial though

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 05:00

Thank you Paul for your thoughtful suggestions.

I cannot find anything in BIOS like Advanced Chipset Settings.  I have 8 main headings, which are General (only Boot Sequence and Date/Time are changeable), System Configuration (covering NIC, SATA, Misc devices of which only USB port is listed, and Function Key Behaviour), Security (whole load of stuff about passwords), Performance (CPU clocking), Power Management, POST Behaviour, Wireless, and Maintenance (Tags).

I read on the Intel website that in the absence of a BIOS setting, then the chip defaults to PAVP Lite, but I seem to have no way of proving that it has, and I was hoping to be able to in the event that Nero still insist my graphic device is at fault or below spec.

Yes, I have flashed the BIOS.  I am fairly certain that it shipped with A05, and I am currently running with A06. My laptop shipped 3 months after A05 was released, and 2 months before A06 was released, so that would line up.  I wouldn't have a problem downgrading it one notch if that would help, since the optical drive is the only thing I have changed on the laptop since having it, and I could just check out the earlier BIOS to see if PAVP is listed.  The tutorial link is most helpful, so I will wait and see how Nero respond to my latest email, in which I spell out that my video graphics device is on their Minimum Spec list!

No Events found!