RaymondDubIre
1 Copper

Blue Screen at Startup - will a factory reset sort this out...?

Hi,

I recently bought a new dell inspiron laptop 15r.

I'm getting a Blue Screen Of Death at startup which delays the start up.

When I go into Dell's PC Doctor, the "critical event" message I get says:

"The "Unknown" driver (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys) appears to have caused a system crash."

I have tried doing a 'system refresh' to no avail. Before I did the system refresh I was being told that it was a different driver causing the crash.

If I do a factory reset, do you think this solve the problem?

If not, what is the best way to go about solving it?

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Blue Screen at Startup - will a factory reset sort this out...?

Did you update any drivers recently? Laptops usually don't need driver updates for the hardware. That file can be related to the video driver. Video drivers should come from Dell since those are usually customized for laptops. Open Device Manager, display adapter and select Update drivers, search online. Also check for any other drivers with a yellow mark ! or ? Windows 8 is much better than previous versions for selecting the right drivers.

Run the Diagnostics from the Boot Menu to test all the hardware. Start tapping F12 immediately after rebooting. Don't wait for any screen or you might miss the timing. Select the diagnostics and include the extended hard drive test--it can take several hours to run. Keep a record of any errors and contact Dell Support for any hardware problem on a new computer. 

0 Kudos
RaymondDubIre
1 Copper

RE: Blue Screen at Startup - will a factory reset sort this out...?

Hi Mary,

I have not updated any drivers after the "system refresh".

Before the system refresh, I did update drivers in response to the blue screen with no positive effect.

I will try the things you suggest.

Could you please tell me how to contact Dell Support? It doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos