Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2011 11:00

Blue battery light blinking on Vostro 1500

I could use some advice on what I need to do or buy to correct the problem with my Vostro 1500 laptop. The problem is, my laptop will not charge correctly.  The charger shows a green light and when plugged into the laptop the blue light blinks slowly.  Sometimes the blue blinking speeds up, but then it goes back to a slow blink.  it will not stay continuously lit.  I let this go on over night to see if it would correct itself, but it did not.  It did however charger a little more than normal.  I was able to almost get to the welcome page before I got the orange battery light and shutdown.  When I take out the battery, I do not even get the slow blinking blue light, but when I install the battery back, the blue blinking starts again.  Do I need a new charger or battery?

Any help will be appreciated.

269 Posts

April 8th, 2011 11:00

My initial guess would be a new battery but I imagine it would depend on how old this system is.  Normally, the blue charge light will only show solid when it's doing a rapid / full charge, but once it hits, or maybe in this case "thinks" it hits, a certain charge % it reduces to a trickle charge and the indicator will flash.  The rapid to slow flashing is usually also an indicator that something's wrong with the charging system in some way.

If you remove the battery from the system and press the charge indicator button, do the lights light up in sequence or are there gaps?  If gaps, it's most likely a bad battery.

April 8th, 2011 12:00

Thank you Short_Bus for the reply.  I removed the battery and pressed the charge indicator button and only one button lit green.  I think it was the very first button in the sequence, but not sure on which way the sequence goes.  It was the light furthest from the charge indicator button.

No Events found!