Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2012 10:00

Blue screen of death in XPS 15

Hey everyone. i really need help.

I keep getting the blue screen of death whenever I leave my laptop ON for a long time. It would heat up and after some time when I will come back, I would see the blue screen of death. Then I would restart it and then it would work fine again. but this as happened around 3-4 times now over the last 1-2 months. I have tried scanning my laptop for virus and everything but its clean. Really need some help right now. I'm hoping it doesn't harm my hard drive or any of my data.

PS: My laptop is still under warranty.

September 17th, 2012 12:00

Hi ratika89g,

'Blue Screen' errors may occur either due to hardware or a software issue. Could you tell me if you have made a note of any error code in regards to the 'Blue Screen'? Error code plays an important role and may help us understand the root cause. If you have not been able to capture the error code, please follow the steps listed below to search for useful information in the system's event logs:
By default Windows will log an event to the 'Event Log' when a system crashes. This tool can be used to find relevant information on 'Blue Screen' error. It works for other crashes also. Here's a picture of a BSOD that I have annotated for your reference:

- Click 'Start' icon, then to 'Control Panel', then to 'Administrative Tools', then to 'Event Viewer' (Following image appears)

- The 'Event Viewer' window opens, you'll see 2 panes (see picture above). The pane on the left will contain the 3 categories of events (they are Application, Security, and System). The pane on the right will reflect the messages for the category that is selected on the left. They will be listed as Information, Warnings, or Errors.
- Left click once on the Application category in the left hand pane - then check the right hand pane for errors. Locate an error. Refer to the image below:

- If no errors are located, please click the second and third categories one by one
- Locate an error that occurred around the time of the problem (there may or may not be one here depending on the type of error). Then, right click on it and select "Properties". Refer to image below:

- Often they will come in a format similar to this: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xEB82784C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Please capture the stop error code. It may play an important role while diagnosing a problem with your system.

I also recommend you to run hardware diagnostics on the laptop to check for the hardware functionality. You may find the following steps useful:
Try performing the ePSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) using the steps mentioned below:
- Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
- Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap key
- Select option 'Diagnostics'
- The ePSA starts running the 'quick test' without waiting for user input
- LCD screen test message appears 'Were color bars displayed'. If you see the bars, tap
- Capture any error code (if appears)

Do reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist.

11 Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

It took me long time to find this but I think this is the error I could find in the Event log and properties.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WMI

Date:          26-06-2012 17:00:20

Event ID:      10

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Ratika-PC

Description:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Event Xml:

">schemas.microsoft.com/.../event">

0x80000000000000

Application

Ratika-PC

//./root/CIMV2

SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99

0x80041003

AND 1 MORE ERROR IS ALSO IN THE ERROR LOG CONTINUOUSLY.

Source:        Bonjour Service

Date:          26-06-2012 11:51:44

Event ID:      100

Task Category: None

Description:

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3666

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Ratika-PC

Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 3666

11 Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

AND THIS IS THE ERROR I GOT WHEN MY WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CRASHED.

Source:        Application Error

Date:          19-09-2012 00:11:17

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Description:

Faulting application name: wmplayer.exe, version: 12.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a485

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000cf834

Faulting process id: 0x111c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd95cbd41eda7d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 6e137940-01c0-11e2-a7a5-88532e3f56f5

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Ratika-PC

wmplayer.exe

4ce7a485

unknown

c0000005

000cf834

111c

01cd95cbd41eda7d

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

unknown

6e137940-01c0-11e2-a7a5-88532e3f56f5

September 18th, 2012 18:00

Hi ratika89g,

Thank you for your quick response. The event logs suggest that you may be facing minor issues with the system software. However, let us diagnose the issue further by checking the mini dump files in the laptop. I am still waiting for an update on the laptop's hardware diagnostics. As I suggested in the last post, I would request you to run PSA to check for the hardware functionality. Apart from that, please follow the steps listed below to search for the 'minidump folder'. We will decode this folder to understand the root cause of the issue that you have been facing:
- Click 'Computer'
- Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and tap
- Copy the most recent 'Minidump' folder and paste it to your desktop screen
- Please send this folder to me (I am sending my email address through a private message)
- Let me check the 'Minidump' folder with a debugging tool to see if we get decisive results

I am adding you as a friend. Please accept the request and reply through a private message with the 'Service Tag' and 'Account Holder's' name. Let me check your system's hardware specifications for further troubleshooting.

Do reply with the results. I would be glad to assist.

1 Message

September 18th, 2012 23:00

Follow the Link Below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545227

Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

SYMPTOMS

After you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) using integrated media, you may see the following WMI error is logged in the application log after every reboot:

Log Name - Application

Source - WMI

EventID - 10

Level - Error

User - N/A

OpCode - Info

Task Cat - None

Keywords - Classic

Details - Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

CAUSE

This originated in the Windows 7 SP1 DVD/ISO creation process. There was an issue in the creation process that caused a WMI registration to remain in the DVD/ISO. Since the registration is designed to work only during the DVD/ISO creation process, it fails to run on a live system and causes these events. These events are not indicative of any issue in the system and can be safely ignored. If however you want to prevent these events from getting generated and want to remove this specific WMI registration manually, please follow the steps mentioned in this article for running the workaround script.

RESOLUTION

To have us fix this problem for you, go to the " Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the " Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me

To fix this problem automatically, click the  Fix it button or link. Then click  Run in the  File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the  Fix it wizard.

Fix this problem 
Microsoft Fix it 50688
Notes
  • This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
  • If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.

Then, go to the " Did this fix the problem?" section.

Let me fix it myself

To resolve the issue, run a script to stop the Event ID 10 messages. To run the script follow these steps:

1) In Notepad create a new document named Workaround.txt

2) Copy the following script into notepad

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
& strComputer & "\root\subscription")

Set obj1 = objWMIService.ExecQuery("select * from __eventfilter where name='BVTFilter' and query='SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA ""Win32_Processor"" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99'")

For Each obj1elem in obj1

set obj2set = obj1elem.Associators_("__FilterToConsumerBinding")

set obj3set = obj1elem.References_("__FilterToConsumerBinding")

For each obj2 in obj2set

WScript.echo "Deleting the object"

WScript.echo obj2.GetObjectText_

obj2.Delete_

next

For each obj3 in obj3set

WScript.echo obj3.GetObjectText_

obj3.Delete_

next

WScript.echo obj1elem.GetObjectText_

obj1elem.Delete_

Next

3) Save the text as Workaround.vbs

4) Close Notepad

5) Open an elevated command prompt

a. Click on start

b. Click on Programs

c. Right-Click on Command Prompt

d. Choose run as administrator

6) Change Directory to the one containing workaround.vbs: ( Example CD c:\users\%username%

7) Run cscript workaround.vbs

After running the script the Event ID 10 errors related to this event should stop occurring. This does not remove any of the existing entries in the Event log, they would need to be manually cleared out of the application event log.

Note: There can be other reasons for Event ID 10 error messages, this only prevents the error message listed above from occurring. 

Did this fix the problem?

• Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
  • We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email message.

MORE INFORMATION

This particular Event ID 10 error message listed above can be safely ignored, this is not indicative of a problem with the Service Pack or with the operating system.

Properties

Article ID: 2545227 - Last Review: June 10, 2011 - Revision: 2.0
APPLIES TO
  • Windows 7 Beta
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Enterprise E
  • Windows 7 Enterprise N
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Home Premium E
  • Windows 7 Home Premium N
  • Windows 7 Pre-Beta
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Professional E
  • Windows 7 Professional for Embedded Systems
  • Windows 7 Professional N
  • Windows 7 Release Candidate
  • Windows 7 Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Starter E
  • Windows 7 Starter N
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Ultimate E
  • Windows 7 Ultimate for Embedded Systems
  • Windows 7 Ultimate N
  • Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter without Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise without Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 for Embedded Systems
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard without Hyper-V
Keywords: 
kbfixme kbmsifixme KB2545227

September 21st, 2012 16:00

Hi Ratika,

Thank you for sending the dump files. I checked them and found that the following software in your laptop may be causing the 'Blue Screens':
1. PxHlpa64.sys (Related to Roxio software)
2. dxgmms1.sys (DirectX issue)
3. ntoskernel.exe (Related to kernel of operating system in the computer)

We may try re-installing the 'Roxio' application in the laptop to see if that fixes the first issue. We may also try using 'Microsoft fix' for the 'DirectX issue'. However, to fix 'ntoskrnl' issue, we will have to restore the laptop back to factory settings. If that does not fix it, we may also have to re-install the Windows operating system to resolve the issue permanently. Therefore, factory reset or Windows re-installation is the most appropriate troubleshooting step that I would recommend at this time.

I was also looking for an update on the results of 'hardware diagnostics'. Hardware issues cause 'Blue Screens' very frequently. I posted steps for running PSA (Pre-Boot System Assessment) in my first reply to you. I first recommend you to run the hardware diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Only when we are sure about the hardware performance, should we perform the laptop's factory reset / Windows re-installation.

Please reply through a private message with the system 'Service Tag'. Once I have the complete information about the system specifications, I will assist you further with appropriate steps for 'factory restore' or 'Windows Re-installation'. Do reply with the information. I would be glad to assist.

September 28th, 2012 14:00

Hi Ratika,

Thank you for responding with the system information. I checked the records related to your laptop. I observed that you've interacted with the technical support team as well and you wish to re-install Windows operating system to fix the issue permanently. I am glad that you've backed up your personal data already.

As suggested in my previous post, restoring the laptop back to factory settings should fix the issue permanently. Your laptop was shipped with a recovery partition on its hard drive. This partition has the factory image of your system 'pre-loaded' on it. This image includes the 'Windows Operating System', 'Drivers', 'Dell branded applications' and other third party programs like Roxio, Cyberlink, Power DVD, etc. Let us try using this factory image to reset the laptop back to day 1 settings. This process takes 20 - 30 minutes to finish.

Please Note:
- All software that came installed from factory should be restored as it is
- If any of those software is missing, we should be able to download it from Dell website
- If you installed any extra software(s) apart from the ones from the factory, you will have to install them again after the factory reset. You need the CD/DVD/website link that you may have used before for installation
- All personal data from the laptop will be erased (pictures, documents, music, etc). Please back up your data on an external media before PC is restored
- Please ensure that AC adapter is plugged in before you initiate the restoration process

Please find the steps for getting back to the factory state:
- Restart PC, repeatedly tap 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears
- 'Advanced Boot Options Menu' appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted; tap . (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
- 'Windows is loading files' screen appears. Wait for it to load
- 'System Recovery Options' prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’
- Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK
- 'Choose a Recovery Tool' page appears, select 'Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup' (last option)
- The Welcome screen will show two options: 'Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files' and 'Select other System Backup and more options'
- Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next
- The next window shows these options: 'Backup Files and Folders' and 'Restore my computer'
- Select ‘Restore my computer’
- Select the Factory Image (It has the date and time mentioned besides it) and click ‘Next’
- The next window shows two options: 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'
- Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next
- A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full - System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next
- PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart
- Follow the onscreen instructions to 'Set-up Windows' again as a new user

In very rare cases, we may experience software related issues during or even after the factory reset. That may happen due to a corrupt image present on the hard drive. Though a remote possibility but if needed, I will give you detailed steps for 'Windows clean re-install' with use of Windows reinstall DVD.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

October 3rd, 2012 05:00

Hi Ratika,

I am checking to get an update on your laptop's performance. Have you restored the software settings of the laptop back to day 1? Please revert if you still facing issues. I would be glad to assist.

No Events found!